Hello!

Hello all,

I'm 37 yo male currently seeking diagnosis of aspergers. I've been reasonably sure for many years that I was on the spectrum. I didn't see the point in getting diagnosed for a long time though. Outwardly I suppose it looks like I'm doing OK. I'm employed, own own home, married, have kids; all looks quite normal. However, my career has been stuck for a long time, I can't do the socio political BS that seems to be required to progress in a large organisation. I work best alone but of course you _have_ to be team player don't you? My relationship with my wife mostly sit's between nightmare and none existant. If it wasn't for the unconditional love my kids seem to have for me I wouldn't still be around. I had a nervous breakdown 5 years ago and was diagnosed with deppression. In hindsight it's pretty clear I've been struggling through depressive episodes since at least my early teen years if not longer. Another breakdown this time last year. And again now. The depression is improving slowly, very slowly, with a change of meds and mindfulness practice; but the 'challenges' which have left me like this are still the same. I decided last year that diagnosis of aspergers might help me understand me, help my wife understand me and maybe accept me. I also didn't feel up to the process of getting dagnosed having read it can be a massive uphill struggle. However, seeing as I've broken again and it's worse than ever I don't think avoiding diagnosis is an option any more.

I went to my GP who was very good initially. Looked over my AQ50 assessment and talked to me about how I feel affected. He reffered me to the Local Community Mental Health Team for diagnosis but they responded that they aren't commisioned to provide any Autism Spectrum Disorder services. WTF? They suggested I contact the Lins SHINE network for signposting to servies. I've done that and been given 2 more organisations to contact to ask for diagnosis or signposting to diagnosis service. I've just emailed both of these today and now thought I'd share the process with you lot :)

PS: I'm not blaming AS for my depression entirely, my physical and mental health problems are a complicated entanglement of overlapping symptoms and AS is just one aspect of the overall picture. I'm doing what I can to treat/have treated all other conditions already.

Parents
  • I seriously think you'd be best off speaking to your GP to say that he needs to have fully exhausted local options first otherwise no doubt the funding would be turned down again for out-of-area.  I presume they gave him a reason, and if the reason is that there is local provision then the GP should query with them, where that provision is.  It's no good him just sending the same request back in.  You can see another GP at the practice, it doesn't need to be the same one you have seen already, and if he is a bit clueless and incompetent it might be better to.  Trust me, these pen-pushing, tick-boxing, jobsworthy types won't care if the in-county service is further away, they won't fund out of area whilst you have the provision.

• I seriously think you'd be best off speaking to your GP to say that he needs to have fully exhausted local options first otherwise no doubt the funding would be turned down again for out-of-area.  I presume they gave him a reason, and if the reason is that there is local provision then the GP should query with them, where that provision is.  It's no good him just sending the same request back in.  You can see another GP at the practice, it doesn't need to be the same one you have seen already, and if he is a bit clueless and incompetent it might be better to.  Trust me, these pen-pushing, tick-boxing, jobsworthy types won't care if the in-county service is further away, they won't fund out of area whilst you have the provision.

Children
No Data