Denied Autism Assessment

I have posted here before. I am 35 male. 

I spoke to my doctor and they said I should do an assessment for autism and they put me forward to a clinic. I did the autism assessment form with my mum. I filled in everything and totally packed out the extras page. 

The clinic I was sent to has terrible reviews on how they say you're not autistic if you're chatty etc. they denied someone instantly for pulling out their chair for their wife. 

Anyway I didn't hear off them so I rang the doctors and another doctor said my application was denied because I didn't give enough information. It honestly baffles me because I packed that page out. The doctor then said after talking to me I am too sociable to have autism, which annoyed me. 

My uncle has autism and has never worked due to it and has a carer but is the most sociable person. At the time I was like ok but over time I feel more wound up. 

It really disappointed me. I'm tired of being told that I don't need to be diagnosed or there's no cure for autism. I don't want to be cured but when I looked into it so so much made sense for me. Now I feel like I am a liar with anxiety that's my own fault due to not having perfect diet etc. 

Getting diagnosed would have been like my brain had finally been pieced together and I could have guided through life knowing this. 

I am considering paying over £2000 for a private assessment but if I do that to be told I just have anxiety I will be real stressed. I work full time but saving the money would be hard. 

Has anyone else had experience like this or has advice? 

Parents
  • They made you write a form? Wt--? What? My diagnostic took hours, I was still a minor, so the doctors had to speak to me and my parents. I don't know about you all, but they SPOKE to me, how I interacted in public is what they were trying to analyse. My diagnostic specifically said I have trouble making eye contact (along with other things, duh), are you telling me that this ONE written form concluded with an autism diagnostic? 

You should convince YOURSELF that you are autistic. Sure, having your family say you possibly not, sucks (trust me I know, and the person who says that is a psychologist... but she is also my mom) but, what is important is that YOU know... I mean you can still get help, read books... but I understand the importance of diagnostics. I know the relief, I felt it even though I had known for years

Real question though, if not I'll make a post about it, but can an autistic diagnostic be different from when you are a teenager to an adult, do any of you redo a diagnostic?

• They made you write a form? Wt--? What? My diagnostic took hours, I was still a minor, so the doctors had to speak to me and my parents. I don't know about you all, but they SPOKE to me, how I interacted in public is what they were trying to analyse. My diagnostic specifically said I have trouble making eye contact (along with other things, duh), are you telling me that this ONE written form concluded with an autism diagnostic? 

You should convince YOURSELF that you are autistic. Sure, having your family say you possibly not, sucks (trust me I know, and the person who says that is a psychologist... but she is also my mom) but, what is important is that YOU know... I mean you can still get help, read books... but I understand the importance of diagnostics. I know the relief, I felt it even though I had known for years

Real question though, if not I'll make a post about it, but can an autistic diagnostic be different from when you are a teenager to an adult, do any of you redo a diagnostic?

Children
  • The doctors make you do this tick box and form for the clinic then you post it the clinic. That one form was it and I was rejected. They didn't even tell me I had to ring the doctors again myself. I get the eye contact. I am 100% aware of eye contact whether it's not looking at someone or locking on for too long trying to do normal eye contact.

Yeah I agree. I sort of am sure I have ASD. I just want the diagnosis. I feel like even though mostly my kind family members are so super nice they still think I can do normal things and I am constantly having to be super open and vulnerable about things. 

For example my sister is getting married. Made up for her but she is doing a proper lads type stag do in Europe and she's going too. No problem with that but that is autistic hell for me. I never did the lads holiday stuff when younger. It's just so intense and awful I can't contemplate it. I had to send this super vulnerable message to her. She was so so nice and I'm actually going the hen do in the UK but again people just don't click that I can't do these big social things (maybe they wouldn't if I was diagnosed though?).

I actually don't think I'd have been diagnosed as a child. I think since I hit 16 and sensory overload sort of exploded I was more obvious from then on in. Now looking back I definitely had traits as a child but like I said I was too sociable to be diagnosed I think. That shouldn't be the case but I am just being realistic.