Self Diagnosed Autism?

Im not officially diagnosed with autism, but I am mostly sure that i am autistic or at least neurodivergent in some way.
I have always felt like there was something wrong with me, even when i was young I realised that there was something different about me, the way I thought, behaved and communicated was different than other kids. As i grew up, i just thought i must be doing something wrong, so i just tried to pretend to be more normal by copying people around me.

A few years ago, i was looking up something about autism, i don’t remember why, and I realised that autism is actually a lot different than what I thought and saw before on tv or media. And I also realised that i fit into most of traits and it explained a lot about my life and how I felt. I didn’t tell anyone about this, but I kept thinking about it ever since.

Around 3 years ago my younger brother got diagnosed with autism, so my mom started to learn more about it to be able to help and understand him better. And she told me about how she thought that i actually have shown a lot of signs since my early childhood.

At first i ignored it and thought i was just overthinking, but then i kept seeing things about autistic people and their experiences and i keep thinking about how much i relate. I also did a lot of research into the subject and even tried multiple online tests, so im mostly sure i have autism. But since i am still undiagnosed, it feels a bit wrong to actually call myself autistic or tell anyone. Can i still say i am autistic even if i dont have an official diagnosis? Would that be morally wrong or offensive to diagnosed autistic people? Sorry if i said anything rude or wrote too much.

Parents
  • Can i still say i am autistic even if i dont have an official diagnosis?

Yes absolutely! Self identification is perfectly valid, after all you know yourself best!

Welcome to your autistic community!

Would that be morally wrong or offensive to diagnosed autistic people?

Absolutely not! Please don’t worry about this. You are the expert on your own autistic experience!

For context, many of us are self identified including myself. I do not intend to pursue formal identification as I think it would be an unnecessarily negative and pathologising experience for me.

You are definitely not alone! Grinning

• Thank you for the message! Relaxed

• You are so welcome! If you want to chat or explore aspects of your autistic experience please just start another discussion. 

By the way, you can chat about anything in this community, it doesn’t just have to relate to autistic experience.

What are your interests?

• I can only speak of my experience....but I think those people who would need to see "proof" of my reality.....beyond what is self-evident in my behaviours ..... are the type of cynics who would never actually "believe"... even if a piece of paper said so.

• Yes I understand that! I hope the process goes well for you and you don’t have to wait too long for assessment.

• I just think with a diagnosis people that are close would have some sort of proof I guess. It would also help me make sense of a lot as I’m very confused atm. I agree though that why should you have to validate it. 

• I’m self diagnosed also although I would like an assessment to confirm and think it would benefit me personally. 

Yes I understand that formal diagnosis can provide validation and confirmation of your autistic identity for some people. Good luck with this process!

What kind of benefits are you hoping for from assessment?

Just to  let you know, there is very little, almost no post diagnostic support, the most beneficial support is probably from autistic communities like this one!

Either way, both self identification and formal identification are equally valid!

like the people have said it doesn’t matter on here, you know you are different and have your struggles and that’s enough 

Of course, you are enough! No one should have to prove themselves to anyone! Grinning

• I’m self diagnosed also although I would like an assessment to confirm and think it would benefit me personally. 
    like the people have said it doesn’t matter on here, you know you are different and have your struggles and that’s enough 

• You are very welcome! Nice username!

Reply Children
  • I can only speak of my experience....but I think those people who would need to see "proof" of my reality.....beyond what is self-evident in my behaviours ..... are the type of cynics who would never actually "believe"... even if a piece of paper said so.

• Yes I understand that! I hope the process goes well for you and you don’t have to wait too long for assessment.

• I just think with a diagnosis people that are close would have some sort of proof I guess. It would also help me make sense of a lot as I’m very confused atm. I agree though that why should you have to validate it. 

Yes I understand that formal diagnosis can provide validation and confirmation of your autistic identity for some people. Good luck with this process!

What kind of benefits are you hoping for from assessment?

Just to  let you know, there is very little, almost no post diagnostic support, the most beneficial support is probably from autistic communities like this one!

Either way, both self identification and formal identification are equally valid!

Of course, you are enough! No one should have to prove themselves to anyone! Grinning