Husband and Parent of Autistic wife and Child

Hello. 

Reaching out as many places I can find in desperation. My wife was diagnosed a year ago with high functioning autism, and our toddler daughter is highly likely to be on the spectrum also, as expressed by our paediatrician. Needless to say I’m way in over my head as a dad and husband. The endless days and nights of our daughter screaming, trying to keep her peaceful, has seriously worn on my wife and I. I became so angry, bitter, and resentful towards them both. Thankfully counselling has helped me through some of that. Our daughter is currently withholding her poops for 4 days at a time and screams at us because she gets so uncomfortable. She’s not constipated, just afraid to go. My wife lives in a constant state of burnout because she is filled with anxiety and is extremely strict when it comes to taking care of our daughter, and she won’t allow herself to be away from our daughter for any length of time. Such a long and convoluted story to get into but I appreciate any replies. I’m a words of affirmation guy so any encouragement helps. 

Thank you

Parents Reply Children
  • Thank you. I do try and take enough care of myself to take better care of them. I’m not well either so it can be rough. I’ve never been depressed before our daughter was born, so this mental change has been a scary and lonely road. Counselling does help a lot.