New diagnosis

Hi, I'm a mum of a 15 year old girl who has been recently diagnosed with autism, i was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do next or any tips on how to make her life easier.

Parents
  • Hi Sarah, welcome :) 

You've found a great place to ask this question. Everyone here is so lovely and helpful. 

I have been an autistic 15 year old girl before and whoooo. What a ride. There are a lot of emotions happening at that age so I would anticipate fireworks regardless, even if she was neurotypical. I am only saying that because I was a nightmare teenager! 

My main advice would be to ask questions and genuinely listen to the answer. If she seems evasive, probe gently to get more info. Make it clear to her that you are a source of comfort and wisdom and that she can come to you NO MATTER WHAT. She's becoming a woman but might still need support and comfort like a child.  

I was doing a lot of bad stuff with some bad people under my parents nose and they didn't know. I wish I had had someone who I could depend on and talk to about my issues rather than feeling like I had to hide and internalise it all which ultimately led to bad outcomes. 

Bear in mind she might also start to be exploring her sexuality around now too, with girls or boys, or both, and that might bring a whole host of feelings and insecurities too. Ask questions, listen, make it clear you are going to hear her and care then hopefully she will come to you if and when things go wrong. 

Good luck. Being a teenager is hard! 

• Hi Sarah, welcome :) 

You've found a great place to ask this question. Everyone here is so lovely and helpful. 

I have been an autistic 15 year old girl before and whoooo. What a ride. There are a lot of emotions happening at that age so I would anticipate fireworks regardless, even if she was neurotypical. I am only saying that because I was a nightmare teenager! 

My main advice would be to ask questions and genuinely listen to the answer. If she seems evasive, probe gently to get more info. Make it clear to her that you are a source of comfort and wisdom and that she can come to you NO MATTER WHAT. She's becoming a woman but might still need support and comfort like a child.  

I was doing a lot of bad stuff with some bad people under my parents nose and they didn't know. I wish I had had someone who I could depend on and talk to about my issues rather than feeling like I had to hide and internalise it all which ultimately led to bad outcomes. 

Bear in mind she might also start to be exploring her sexuality around now too, with girls or boys, or both, and that might bring a whole host of feelings and insecurities too. Ask questions, listen, make it clear you are going to hear her and care then hopefully she will come to you if and when things go wrong. 

Good luck. Being a teenager is hard! 

Children
  • Thank you, that is amazing advice! My daughter and i have a close relationship already and she tells me most things (i'm sure not everything, she is a teenager after all!) I will keep making sure she can always talk to me and try and ask her questions especially when i do not understand. Being a teenager is a mindfield without this diagnosis i just want to make her life as easy as possible.

many thanks