Recent diagnosis and antidepressants

I’ve been on antidepressants for over 18 months (Sertraline) having been depressed on and off for 10 years. I’ve been very recently diagnosed as autistic (I’m 27) and I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better. Any thoughts?

Parents
  • As everyone agrees (pretty much) if you’re going to try to come off them then it’s so important to do it slowly and with the support of your gp. Did you see the recent episode of Panorama that was about anti-depressants? It talked a lot about coming off anti depressants and how challenging it can be. Some people were having to do it very very gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms. 
    I admit that I’m biased because I had a really bad experience when taking anti-depressants so I’m not their biggest fan! But they do work for a lot of people so I think it’s very individual, everyone is different. Because I couldn’t continue with them due to severe side effects I had to find other ways to manage my mental health, and I feel grateful for the fact that I had to do that, because I understand myself better, and I’ve worked out some of the reasons, some of the triggers, and some of the things that really make a difference to my mental health in both positive and negative ways. My mental health issues had complex problems and they needed complex solutions (I’m still learning too). For example I had very dysfunctional parents and no drug was going to work that stuff out for me, I needed to understand what that did to me and how I could heal from it. 
    So everyone has their own unique situation. I wish you luck whatever you decide, because whatever works for you is what matters, not what anyone else thinks or feels. If you decide that you want to stick with the anti-depressants then that’s not a bad thing. Only do it if you feel ready, and good luck whatever you decide :) 

• As everyone agrees (pretty much) if you’re going to try to come off them then it’s so important to do it slowly and with the support of your gp. Did you see the recent episode of Panorama that was about anti-depressants? It talked a lot about coming off anti depressants and how challenging it can be. Some people were having to do it very very gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms. 
    I admit that I’m biased because I had a really bad experience when taking anti-depressants so I’m not their biggest fan! But they do work for a lot of people so I think it’s very individual, everyone is different. Because I couldn’t continue with them due to severe side effects I had to find other ways to manage my mental health, and I feel grateful for the fact that I had to do that, because I understand myself better, and I’ve worked out some of the reasons, some of the triggers, and some of the things that really make a difference to my mental health in both positive and negative ways. My mental health issues had complex problems and they needed complex solutions (I’m still learning too). For example I had very dysfunctional parents and no drug was going to work that stuff out for me, I needed to understand what that did to me and how I could heal from it. 
    So everyone has their own unique situation. I wish you luck whatever you decide, because whatever works for you is what matters, not what anyone else thinks or feels. If you decide that you want to stick with the anti-depressants then that’s not a bad thing. Only do it if you feel ready, and good luck whatever you decide :) 

Children
No Data