Recent diagnosis and antidepressants

I’ve been on antidepressants for over 18 months (Sertraline) having been depressed on and off for 10 years. I’ve been very recently diagnosed as autistic (I’m 27) and I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better. Any thoughts?

Parents
  • I had actually just tapered off sertraline in the couple of months leading up to my assessment and diagnosis, though at that point I was already pretty confident I was autistic. I would echo what others have said about speaking with your doctor, though I will also say that I only had to speak with mine once to set up a schedule for reducing my dose and it was absolutely fine managing the tapering-off/dose reduction process on my own.

What I would say is that it's a good idea to start by figuring out things like sensory issues and meltdown/shutdown triggers so you can reduce those as much as possible before coming off the meds. I had already done quite a bit of that work just due to improvements in my work life and physical health, but it definitely helped to have a solid idea of what things had been autism-related anxiety triggers before. It makes a huge difference learning to tell the difference between anxiety and sensory overload, or between depression and burnout.

• I had actually just tapered off sertraline in the couple of months leading up to my assessment and diagnosis, though at that point I was already pretty confident I was autistic. I would echo what others have said about speaking with your doctor, though I will also say that I only had to speak with mine once to set up a schedule for reducing my dose and it was absolutely fine managing the tapering-off/dose reduction process on my own.

What I would say is that it's a good idea to start by figuring out things like sensory issues and meltdown/shutdown triggers so you can reduce those as much as possible before coming off the meds. I had already done quite a bit of that work just due to improvements in my work life and physical health, but it definitely helped to have a solid idea of what things had been autism-related anxiety triggers before. It makes a huge difference learning to tell the difference between anxiety and sensory overload, or between depression and burnout.

Children
No Data