Recent diagnosis and antidepressants

I’ve been on antidepressants for over 18 months (Sertraline) having been depressed on and off for 10 years. I’ve been very recently diagnosed as autistic (I’m 27) and I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better. Any thoughts?

Parents
  • I had bipolar when I just jumped off my meds, and honestly I don't think you need to talk to a Dr beforehand, or at least I didn't (but I had no choice I couldn't afford to be fobbed off by a Dr who doesn't actually live inside my head but could only go by what I at the time could only rudimentary at best communicate by spoken language, because the meds were making me worse https://community.autism.org.uk/f/mental-health-and-wellbeing/32415/do-antidepressants-work/301224#301224  ).
    You do need to let your GP know you have done this though (keeping your GP in the loop is not the same as asking their advice or permission) and schedule regular emotional check-ins, and you must not be isolated in your day-to-day, you need to have an active emotional support if you go off medication because the adjustment and re-adjustments can be rocky, something I was lucky to have and be able to pull myself out of bipolar depression "by my bootstraps".
    (Which some people make out is so easy, but it isn't, it is years of hard work effectively trying to CBT yourself and break out of the negative patterns yourself, you need to be really self aware and able to unpick your own emotions and thoughts in order to CBT yourself, so my route isn't something I'd ever recommend to anyone who is %100 alone, has alexithymia, or who just wants a qucik fix either.)
    I have made a full recovery long ago now obviously, but I wasn't an easy route and I can only offer that guidance for how I did it though. You are not Me. Ultimately you make your own choices, and must do what you feel is right for yourself.

And actually as long as your meds don't make you absolutely dead inside and you don'y have alexithymia, could you try to CBT yourself a bit before you try and come off them? You'll need to at least get a reputable CBT self help book to do so. Because I don't know what you are like as a person I think you should build your foundations and safety net first. Because going off meds is like walking a tight rope, but no healing is ever linear, you do slip off and and you need to be caught if you can't pull yourself back up again and end up falling.

• I had bipolar when I just jumped off my meds, and honestly I don't think you need to talk to a Dr beforehand, or at least I didn't (but I had no choice I couldn't afford to be fobbed off by a Dr who doesn't actually live inside my head but could only go by what I at the time could only rudimentary at best communicate by spoken language, because the meds were making me worse https://community.autism.org.uk/f/mental-health-and-wellbeing/32415/do-antidepressants-work/301224#301224  ).
    You do need to let your GP know you have done this though (keeping your GP in the loop is not the same as asking their advice or permission) and schedule regular emotional check-ins, and you must not be isolated in your day-to-day, you need to have an active emotional support if you go off medication because the adjustment and re-adjustments can be rocky, something I was lucky to have and be able to pull myself out of bipolar depression "by my bootstraps".
    (Which some people make out is so easy, but it isn't, it is years of hard work effectively trying to CBT yourself and break out of the negative patterns yourself, you need to be really self aware and able to unpick your own emotions and thoughts in order to CBT yourself, so my route isn't something I'd ever recommend to anyone who is %100 alone, has alexithymia, or who just wants a qucik fix either.)
    I have made a full recovery long ago now obviously, but I wasn't an easy route and I can only offer that guidance for how I did it though. You are not Me. Ultimately you make your own choices, and must do what you feel is right for yourself.

And actually as long as your meds don't make you absolutely dead inside and you don'y have alexithymia, could you try to CBT yourself a bit before you try and come off them? You'll need to at least get a reputable CBT self help book to do so. Because I don't know what you are like as a person I think you should build your foundations and safety net first. Because going off meds is like walking a tight rope, but no healing is ever linear, you do slip off and and you need to be caught if you can't pull yourself back up again and end up falling.

Children
No Data