Grateful to Be Here

I am a retired former teacher and writer. (She, her.) I have known all my life that my brain worked differently than that of others in my life. Only in my 20s when I took a graduate course in special education did I find out I was dyslexic. Twenty years ago my brother discovered on his own that he probably had Aspergers. Shortly thereafter he took his life from sheer hopelessness. After his death, I read everything on autism I could find. I could relate to some of what I read, especially being a loner and having special interests. (I prefer to call them passions.) But I was too scared at the time to consider that I might also be on the spectrum. Last month my adult granddaughter shared that she had recently been diagnosed with  ASD and ADHD. We talked for hours and I became flooded with memories of 75 years struggling to appear "normal".in a world that has always felt alien to me. I managed to pass most of the time, but at great emotional cost. After reading the recent research and exploring online.I was struck by the understanding that my brother and I both shared an ASD legacy probably passed down from our Dad. I was inspired by the relief and hope my grandaughter expressed at her diagnosis, so I took the AQ and two other online tests. The results added more credence to my insights. It is such a relief to know my brain is not broken - just different.

Parents
  • Hi, and welcome.

It sounds like you've walked through fire to get here, I'm glad you made it. I'm very sorry to hear that your brother did not.

Hopefully you'll never feel alone here, it's a truly supportive community and you have found your tribe. 

• Hi, and welcome.

It sounds like you've walked through fire to get here, I'm glad you made it. I'm very sorry to hear that your brother did not.

Hopefully you'll never feel alone here, it's a truly supportive community and you have found your tribe. 

Children
No Data