New here. Not diagnosed but going for an assessment soon.

I am in my late 30s and female.

I have not been diagnosed with autism, but I scored quite high on a test the psychologist used on me. I think it might have been the AQ10 test. She was going to refer me for a thorough assessment but it's been two years and that has not happened yet. The psychiatrist is now trying to chase this. I have experienced psychosis so he's trying to see if it's linked to autism because I get high levels of anxiety. I have not read much about psychosis being linked to autism so I'm a bit sceptical.

I'm here to find out what to expect at the assessment. 

Parents
  • Hiya,

Welcome. The wait time is super long for an autism diagnosis so be prepared. In the meantime you can just identify as self-diagnosed which might help you understand yourself more.

I'm not sure about the link between psychosis and autism. I do know however that women are often misdiagnosed with conditions and there autism goes under the radar. 

I'm not sure what assessment you are referring to so I'll just explain the whole process briefly and you can ask any questions that I haven't answered. You will get a questionnaire sort of thing which asks about your struggles now and as a child. If you still have parents around then they may ask them what you were like as a child (they like to get as much information as possible). They may do a QB test to rule out ADHD as they often come together, that test is pretty simple, you just have to press shapes on a computer, there are videos online which are really accurate, however you might not be asked to do that. Finally the ADOS assessment which honestly isn't a fun experience. There are 2 people, one does the talking, the other sits in a corner and writes notes (which feels pretty odd). They ask you to do strange tasks such as reading a book with no words, explaining how to brush your teeth to an alien and you might be given objects and have to make a story with them (it's really silly tasks which are clearly aimed at small children and it feels pretty embarrassing, personally I think there should be a separate ADOS test for adults). 

Alisha xx

P.S. feel free to pop me a message if you want to chat

• Thank you Alisha, I don't have much of an imagination so I'm really going to struggle with those tasks. I might not even be able to verbally say anything. But writing might work.

• I think that is the idea. There are no "right" answers. It seems to me you're given talks that are easy for NTs and difficult to impossible for Autistics. I have just accepted I am Autistic very late in life. My GP ( I am lucky he knows me well) has put me forward for an official diagnosis. I know the waiting list is 2-3 years but the fact that I have been put forward is enough vindication for me for now. Also, freinds and family have all accepted my Autism and it all fits. I am not bothered about the official assessment as it will just confirm what I already know. Slight smile

• I think that is the idea. There are no "right" answers. It seems to me you're given talks that are easy for NTs and difficult to impossible for Autistics. I have just accepted I am Autistic very late in life. My GP ( I am lucky he knows me well) has put me forward for an official diagnosis. I know the waiting list is 2-3 years but the fact that I have been put forward is enough vindication for me for now. Also, freinds and family have all accepted my Autism and it all fits. I am not bothered about the official assessment as it will just confirm what I already know. Slight smile

Children
No Data