Hello

Hi I'm Leaves (Jess),

I've been lucky enough to get an early diagnosis and I feel it's made things easier for me as a lot more made sense in the last few years. There's still a lot of confusion too but having my diagnosis has made a huge difference to me in a good way.

I'm a naturalist, I've done this for a few years now and I never want to stop. From a young age I was obsessed with nature, the world, animals. I knew I'd end up doing something to do with all that for my work, I was obsessed and still am, it's my special interest and I love sharing it with the rest of the world!

Doing this and making videos I get to work with a lot of people and I'm doing my best to raise awareness for autism by sharing my own journey which has had its moments. Autism is just a word, we can do anything we want to, just have to believe and keep going. That's what I did.

I'm currently working on a book. I'm hoping to have that finished by the end of summer. Hopefully published by Christmas. I've already published two books and done audio versions for those who prefer that - myself included. Lol.

I'm so glad to be diagnosed as autistic. I feel from that day I've opened a new exciting chapter in my life and I've not looked back since. Life throws many challenges my way but I face them all with my head held high.

There's more about me on my profile page, though I may have written too much like I have here. Sorry.

Oh, and Happy Autism Acceptance Week!

Parents
  • HI Leaves, wow its amazing you've already had two books published thats awesome! I am working on a couple at the moment, including a story about the Berlin Zoo at the end of WW2. I love nature too and spend most of my time out in the country. What are your favourite animals and living creatures? I love ducks and wildfowl and spend most days feeding them. I also spend a lot of time at my local safari park / zoo and, as you can tell from my picture, I love hippos.

How do you get to be a naturalist? Must be an amazing career 

• HI Leaves, wow its amazing you've already had two books published thats awesome! I am working on a couple at the moment, including a story about the Berlin Zoo at the end of WW2. I love nature too and spend most of my time out in the country. What are your favourite animals and living creatures? I love ducks and wildfowl and spend most days feeding them. I also spend a lot of time at my local safari park / zoo and, as you can tell from my picture, I love hippos.

Children
  • Hi Billy, I know right it's surreal! Like a dream. As soon as I saw your pic I knew you must love nature. Your writing sounds awesome! I love the sound of your Berlin Zoo book, I bet that will be a fascinating read. Good luck with it. And don't get disheartened if you don't get published first time - I was rejected so many times with my first book, 16 times, but got there in the end! :) 

Penguins are one of my favourite animals! I think they are gorgeous and very interesting. Birds basically but they can't fly, their wings are pointing down like arms which aids their water skills.

PenguinI would love to see a flying penguin. Penguin

Going to the safari and zoo frequently must be fun. That's also a good starting point if you want to get more involved with nature. There might be volunteer opportunities for you. Definitely worth asking about.

Technically you study it and get your qualifications but if you struggled in a learning environment like I did then you "cheat" and don't bother with that. Lol. 

I decided I was a naturalist before I actually was. I got out there and threw myself in to nature, started photography, videos, writing and went to local events. Eventually I was noticed, I guess I made enough noise and the rest as they say is history. But most will go to college/uni depending on what they're going for.

I would never have coped with that so I did it my own way and thankfully it worked out.

I hope you decide to do this as well. It's a worthwhile and rewarding career. Nature is the best.