Diagnosed last year Age 24

I was diagnosed back in October of last year and since then I've just been a mess mentally, (worsening depression, anxiety, and self-hate). Before I was diagnosed, I was under the impression that I was struggling with just both anxiety and depression for most of my life and that these difficulties I've been having could be fixed. Now, however, I've been having difficulty coming to terms that I'm autistic, that the difficulties won't go away, and that I will have to find a way to work with them. I don't know how to accept myself.

Parents
  • Hi welcome to the forum, sorry no one has replied sooner. It's a bit chaotic here rn.

Acceptance can take a long time, it's a lot to take in and process so try to be kind to yourself and don't rush yourself. Just take it slow and let everything sink in. Sorry about your mental health, that's something I'm very familiar with. Talk about how you're feeling if you need to, don't bottle anything up. 

There are good times ahead. Better things. But you've got to get through the bad to get to them, which you will and can do. Just takes time.

• Hi welcome to the forum, sorry no one has replied sooner. It's a bit chaotic here rn.

Acceptance can take a long time, it's a lot to take in and process so try to be kind to yourself and don't rush yourself. Just take it slow and let everything sink in. Sorry about your mental health, that's something I'm very familiar with. Talk about how you're feeling if you need to, don't bottle anything up. 

There are good times ahead. Better things. But you've got to get through the bad to get to them, which you will and can do. Just takes time.

Children