Dazed and Confused

Hi all,

I'm 47 and was told recently by a mental health professional that I might be autistic. I started doing some research and writing out a list of my 'traits', and man was I surprised (like many people, my understanding of autism was poor). I’ve also done several online tests, such as those on the embrace autism site, and they all came back with fairly convincing results.

My GP agrees regarding the possibility of autism and has referred me for the full assessment, but the NHS waiting list is two to three years. Private is £2,000! So I'm in limbo.

On the one hand, it would a huge relief if I were diagnosed as autistic because it would answer a lot of questions I've had about myself my whole life. It would also help massively with work. On the other, I'm not sure who I am anymore since I'm beginning to understand about masking and the coping strategies I've used over the years. Add to that the fact I'll have to wait a long time to even find out and get any kind of support.

So I’d really appreciate any advice any of you can give on the following:

• Coping with the uncertainty whilst waiting for an official diagnosis (would a diagnosis even help?)
  • Living with autism (I suspect I’m level 1 but that’s a complete guess)
  • Handling work-related issues (time management, challenging authority, sitting through meetings/training sessions, bluntness, being micromanaged, etc) and getting management to understand without an official diagnosis
  • Dealing with autistic burnout

Anything you find useful would be most welcome as well.

I’m also keen to avoid sounding like I’m self-diagnosing because I want/need it to be autism. I just to understand myself better. I don’t know how to handle that either. There’s a lot I’m struggling to handle right now Frowning2

Thanks!

Parents
  • I'd recommend going via Right to Choose. It's done by a private company but paid for by the NHS and the wait at the moment is about 6 months or so. I went via Psychiatry UK and they have lots of useful info on their website. You print the pre written letter and I think the AQ-50 and then you can give it to the GP and ask them to refer you!

I wish I could offer more advice but I was only diagnosed last week and am still struggling to come to terms with it all.

Best of luck with your journey and I hope others can offer some more advice than I can.

• That's great, thank you! I used the Autism Service Directory on here after I'd posted that and saw a few places that mention the referral. I'll look into it. Good luck to you, too. I know how you feel!

• Hi, Right to Choose sounds good, but in case that doesn't work out and you wanted to go privately afterall, I can recommend being diagnosed via Sara Heath- It's one of the most affordable private options from what I can tell- I was diagnosed via her (as I was moving country a lot) and it was a good experience- Sara does a prediagnostic interview (which can take anywhere from 2-6 hours) and then writes a report- She cannot give an official diagnosis herself but if she thinks you are indeed autistic, you can see a consultant psychiatrist she works with (who also does diagnoses for the NHS), who will then do an assessment (using Sara's report as a guide) and who can give an official diagnosis if appropriate. It was all online for me and I had a good experience. If you are interested, I would recommend phoning or emailing Sara, she is lovely and can explain how everything works: Autonomy Plus - Pre-Diagnostic (shropshireautonomy.co.uk)

• Hi, Right to Choose sounds good, but in case that doesn't work out and you wanted to go privately afterall, I can recommend being diagnosed via Sara Heath- It's one of the most affordable private options from what I can tell- I was diagnosed via her (as I was moving country a lot) and it was a good experience- Sara does a prediagnostic interview (which can take anywhere from 2-6 hours) and then writes a report- She cannot give an official diagnosis herself but if she thinks you are indeed autistic, you can see a consultant psychiatrist she works with (who also does diagnoses for the NHS), who will then do an assessment (using Sara's report as a guide) and who can give an official diagnosis if appropriate. It was all online for me and I had a good experience. If you are interested, I would recommend phoning or emailing Sara, she is lovely and can explain how everything works: Autonomy Plus - Pre-Diagnostic (shropshireautonomy.co.uk)

Children