Anyone else Autistic and caring for an elderly parent?

Hi everyone. I've been recently diagnosed and wondered if anyone else is Autistic and a carer? 

My diagnosis wasn't a surprise, I have always been playing the board game of life without knowing the rules or having any instructions. 

Anyhoo, as an adult who has just hit 60, in a full time demanding job and looking after my elderly, frail mother, I sometimes feel as if I am totally alone in this regard. My mum was always the one who looked after me , completely understood how I was different to my 4  siblings (although didn't know why) and now the tables have turned and life is very hard. My sibling don't help and quite frankly, don't care. 

Anyone else in the same or similar position?

Parents
  • What an emotional topic. I'm very sorry to hear from all of you those horrific stories. Mine isn't much better... I spent few months very ill and can't get up of the bed. I was advised to not move because of health complications and possible high danger if I did. I couldn't get myself food nor water living in chronic pain attacks that no sort of pill, kneedle or emergency room could relief. Only a surgery relieved that pain. My mom used to leave the house every day for long hours to hang out with her friends, she didn't have a job nor was ill. She didn't skip a day of going out to chitchat with others and enjoy herself leaving me absolutely alone home with no food nor water until around 17:00, her time to get back home. She used to sneak out the flat in the morning so she wouldn't wake me up, because when she did she'll then have to ask me "how do you feel?" And possibly be "stuck" with me home. Am I going to take care of her when she gets old?? Absolutely not. 

• What an emotional topic. I'm very sorry to hear from all of you those horrific stories. Mine isn't much better... I spent few months very ill and can't get up of the bed. I was advised to not move because of health complications and possible high danger if I did. I couldn't get myself food nor water living in chronic pain attacks that no sort of pill, kneedle or emergency room could relief. Only a surgery relieved that pain. My mom used to leave the house every day for long hours to hang out with her friends, she didn't have a job nor was ill. She didn't skip a day of going out to chitchat with others and enjoy herself leaving me absolutely alone home with no food nor water until around 17:00, her time to get back home. She used to sneak out the flat in the morning so she wouldn't wake me up, because when she did she'll then have to ask me "how do you feel?" And possibly be "stuck" with me home. Am I going to take care of her when she gets old?? Absolutely not. 

Children
No Data