Anyone else Autistic and caring for an elderly parent?

Hi everyone. I've been recently diagnosed and wondered if anyone else is Autistic and a carer? 

My diagnosis wasn't a surprise, I have always been playing the board game of life without knowing the rules or having any instructions. 

Anyhoo, as an adult who has just hit 60, in a full time demanding job and looking after my elderly, frail mother, I sometimes feel as if I am totally alone in this regard. My mum was always the one who looked after me , completely understood how I was different to my 4  siblings (although didn't know why) and now the tables have turned and life is very hard. My sibling don't help and quite frankly, don't care. 

Anyone else in the same or similar position?

Parents
  • I was a carer for my mum until 5 years ago.

I actually felt as though I was her carer my whole life though, including as a child, because of her instabilty.

However, proper hands on care was part of my life quite a number of years.

I was 1st working full time, then able to go part time (because my personal circumstances changed) and then able to give up work.

I eventually managed to get carers from the Council but it was a huge battle to do so and they weren't the best.

I wish you well and will be thinking of you as I know how incredibly tough it is.

• I was a carer for my mum until 5 years ago.

I actually felt as though I was her carer my whole life though, including as a child, because of her instabilty.

However, proper hands on care was part of my life quite a number of years.

I was 1st working full time, then able to go part time (because my personal circumstances changed) and then able to give up work.

I eventually managed to get carers from the Council but it was a huge battle to do so and they weren't the best.

I wish you well and will be thinking of you as I know how incredibly tough it is.

Children