Just didn't quite feel "normal"

Hi all, just interested in finding out how you became aware of your Autism?

for me, it was very recently at the age of 53, i had been sat doing a bit of soul searching, sat there looking back through my life realising i havent had as many relationships as others my age, and realising i only have family and work colleague, not friends and that i have struggle throughout life to try to form any.

i find starting up conversations can be very difficult, and keeping them going more so, i have never felt comfortable in social settings, often trying to find a corner to slink off in to. Centre of attention is a big no, i had to give a best mans speech once, i didnt sleep well for 3 weeks, and on the big day had to have plenty of support from the wife and dutch courage from the bottle.

I thought i may have just been very insecure and shy but decided, although its too late in life to change whats past, i would have a chat with my GP, just to see if there was anything that could explain "me".

having completed the test she sent, it came back with the result of strong Autistic characteristics. i now have to wait to get a proper assessment, but this could help explain why i am the way i am

Siggy

Parents
  • I never feel like I fit in, all my life. The more I tried the worst it got. From a young age I remember being bullied always the person the joke was about, but that was I guess me not fitting in. I would have tantrums and was classed as a spoilt kid not getting her own way but I think it was frustration as I always felt different. I just thought I was shy but I hate going out, it doesn’t matter if I know the people or if I’m meeting new people it fills me with dread. I’m currently off work and when I seen my GP he has referred me for counselling because he thinks I’m stressed, anxious and depressed (which I do agree in part), but after seeing a programme on TV I think I’m autistic which as I’m struggling is causing the stress and anxiety. After mulling it over for a couple of weeks I have now booked an appointment to talk to him about maybe getting assessed more for me then anything else. So I know I’m not weird just quirky.

• I never feel like I fit in, all my life. The more I tried the worst it got. From a young age I remember being bullied always the person the joke was about, but that was I guess me not fitting in. I would have tantrums and was classed as a spoilt kid not getting her own way but I think it was frustration as I always felt different. I just thought I was shy but I hate going out, it doesn’t matter if I know the people or if I’m meeting new people it fills me with dread. I’m currently off work and when I seen my GP he has referred me for counselling because he thinks I’m stressed, anxious and depressed (which I do agree in part), but after seeing a programme on TV I think I’m autistic which as I’m struggling is causing the stress and anxiety. After mulling it over for a couple of weeks I have now booked an appointment to talk to him about maybe getting assessed more for me then anything else. So I know I’m not weird just quirky.

Children
No Data