Just didn't quite feel "normal"

Hi all, just interested in finding out how you became aware of your Autism?

for me, it was very recently at the age of 53, i had been sat doing a bit of soul searching, sat there looking back through my life realising i havent had as many relationships as others my age, and realising i only have family and work colleague, not friends and that i have struggle throughout life to try to form any.

i find starting up conversations can be very difficult, and keeping them going more so, i have never felt comfortable in social settings, often trying to find a corner to slink off in to. Centre of attention is a big no, i had to give a best mans speech once, i didnt sleep well for 3 weeks, and on the big day had to have plenty of support from the wife and dutch courage from the bottle.

I thought i may have just been very insecure and shy but decided, although its too late in life to change whats past, i would have a chat with my GP, just to see if there was anything that could explain "me".

having completed the test she sent, it came back with the result of strong Autistic characteristics. i now have to wait to get a proper assessment, but this could help explain why i am the way i am

Siggy

Parents
  • So good to hear you had a positive experience discussing it with your GP.

I became aware that I'm autistic when I was discussing my niece who was about 5 at the time with a friend and how worried I was about her behaviour. My fried leant me a book about autism in girls (her daughter had recently been diagnosed) and when I was reading it I so strongly identified with so much of the traits and experiences described that I thought 'this is me'. I'll admit this was a devastating revelation and for some months after that I really struggled with the idea that I might be autistic because until then I had only seen negative representations and opinions of autism. I did quite a lot of research and slowly accepted that I was pretty much 100% confident that I am autistic. I went to my GP who told me 'we don't deal with mental health issues at this surgery' and told me to self refer to Mind for some CBT as I was also suffering from anxiety and suicidal thoughts at the time. It put me off pursuing an official diagnosis but I have recently requested referral again as I think it could be helpful in the future with requesting accommodations or adjustments etc more than to confirm what I already know to be true.

• So good to hear you had a positive experience discussing it with your GP.

I became aware that I'm autistic when I was discussing my niece who was about 5 at the time with a friend and how worried I was about her behaviour. My fried leant me a book about autism in girls (her daughter had recently been diagnosed) and when I was reading it I so strongly identified with so much of the traits and experiences described that I thought 'this is me'. I'll admit this was a devastating revelation and for some months after that I really struggled with the idea that I might be autistic because until then I had only seen negative representations and opinions of autism. I did quite a lot of research and slowly accepted that I was pretty much 100% confident that I am autistic. I went to my GP who told me 'we don't deal with mental health issues at this surgery' and told me to self refer to Mind for some CBT as I was also suffering from anxiety and suicidal thoughts at the time. It put me off pursuing an official diagnosis but I have recently requested referral again as I think it could be helpful in the future with requesting accommodations or adjustments etc more than to confirm what I already know to be true.

Children
No Data