*WARNING* some may find this upsetting. Your feedback / opinions / recommendations welcome

I’ve just joined and have just finished watching the 2 episodes of autistic minds which I found brilliant. I’m recommending to everyone I meet that they should watch it!

I have recently set up a charitable organisation in memory of and as a legacy for my 19th at old son who we lost in November 2021 to suicide.

He was autistic, but it was missed. This contributed to a severe mental health decline where he tried his best but I guess he felt the only answer to his pain was to end his life.

I’m not really sure how to help with this new set up, but I desperately want to try and prevent anyone else from going through what we have.

any ideas are welcome.

wishing you all the best x

Parents
  • I’m so sorry for your loss, for those of us who were-and-are not caught early, tragic compulsions could’ve struck any-of-us at any time, your cause is certainly a noble one.

For me I’ve skirted similarly fell conclusions, with such a frequency and consistency that, I feel an echo of that dark-shroud overcoming me as I try to write.  
    My heart aches for you, and for the fragment-of-the-memory of your son that you have shared, it can’t be easy navigating autistic children as a parent.

Sometimes the simple things given frequently, are the very things that deter us from courting morbidity, kind-and-reasoned words and actions, from people who will never know how potent their actions are. I have been saved by good samaritans more-a-than-few times.

I remember at 2300ish in the late December of 2019 I was sitting; as a 24 year old urchin, in a shared residence of the YMCA surrounded on all sides by anti-social teenagers, who knew that ‘their NEET TA’ had moved in amongst them; with the instrument of my mortal-infliction in my hand, when there was a knock on the door, followed by a muted-jovial murmur, I forced my mask onto my face and answered the door..
    On the other side were two YMCA housing officers with some Christmas presents; and not a late night inspection. I remember that with a stone face I accepted the gift and thanked them, they likely thought I was disrespectful, when actually I was committing the very air in my lungs to masking. 
    When I shut the door I felt numb, then anxious, so I cleaned my entire room and stared at the ceiling with music until I fell asleep. I didn’t open the presents for another two months.  
    Those staff members will never know of the straw that they took-off-my-back that night, they simply did a positive thing when no one was watching.

Raising awareness for autism, and looking-out-for and distracting the quiet kid, is enough to make an immeasurable change, you likely will never be able to measure that change. But I can tell you that, losing hope that proactive and positive interactions will occur, as my anecdotal proof will tell you, is really the last thing that you lose before you cannot justify survival.

Truly I am sorry for your loss. I am ashamed to say that when I was lost in the fathomless-and-morbid depths of my pain, I had forgotten the faces of my parents too, I had thought my end justified.  
    The comorbidities of being undiagnosed autistic, are what claimed your son that day, and are what would’ve claimed me. I thank and appreciate the efforts of my parents everyday, as your son would have thanked you, you do a service by continuing to proscribe yourself to this particular societal deficiency. GODSPEED.

WITH my personal input aside; I think that the moonshot report by AUS comprehensively lays out most of the short, medium and long term obstacles to the liberation of the Autistic. 

• I’m so sorry for your loss, for those of us who were-and-are not caught early, tragic compulsions could’ve struck any-of-us at any time, your cause is certainly a noble one.

For me I’ve skirted similarly fell conclusions, with such a frequency and consistency that, I feel an echo of that dark-shroud overcoming me as I try to write.  
    My heart aches for you, and for the fragment-of-the-memory of your son that you have shared, it can’t be easy navigating autistic children as a parent.

Sometimes the simple things given frequently, are the very things that deter us from courting morbidity, kind-and-reasoned words and actions, from people who will never know how potent their actions are. I have been saved by good samaritans more-a-than-few times.

I remember at 2300ish in the late December of 2019 I was sitting; as a 24 year old urchin, in a shared residence of the YMCA surrounded on all sides by anti-social teenagers, who knew that ‘their NEET TA’ had moved in amongst them; with the instrument of my mortal-infliction in my hand, when there was a knock on the door, followed by a muted-jovial murmur, I forced my mask onto my face and answered the door..
    On the other side were two YMCA housing officers with some Christmas presents; and not a late night inspection. I remember that with a stone face I accepted the gift and thanked them, they likely thought I was disrespectful, when actually I was committing the very air in my lungs to masking. 
    When I shut the door I felt numb, then anxious, so I cleaned my entire room and stared at the ceiling with music until I fell asleep. I didn’t open the presents for another two months.  
    Those staff members will never know of the straw that they took-off-my-back that night, they simply did a positive thing when no one was watching.

Raising awareness for autism, and looking-out-for and distracting the quiet kid, is enough to make an immeasurable change, you likely will never be able to measure that change. But I can tell you that, losing hope that proactive and positive interactions will occur, as my anecdotal proof will tell you, is really the last thing that you lose before you cannot justify survival.

Truly I am sorry for your loss. I am ashamed to say that when I was lost in the fathomless-and-morbid depths of my pain, I had forgotten the faces of my parents too, I had thought my end justified.  
    The comorbidities of being undiagnosed autistic, are what claimed your son that day, and are what would’ve claimed me. I thank and appreciate the efforts of my parents everyday, as your son would have thanked you, you do a service by continuing to proscribe yourself to this particular societal deficiency. GODSPEED.

WITH my personal input aside; I think that the moonshot report by AUS comprehensively lays out most of the short, medium and long term obstacles to the liberation of the Autistic. 

Children
No Data