Newly diagnosed 11yo daughter - Any tips on where to start?

Hello everyone and happy Friday.

It's with some relief that we can say 'hello', after our daughter was finally diagnosed with Autism and ADHD this week. We're treating the diagnosis as something for all of us to celebrate and are hopeful for she can get the support she needs at home and at school.

While we knew of Autism and ADHD, we only begun to learn about it properly when a SENDCO suggested our daughter be assessed and we went through the assessment process.

We have recommendations from the clinicians that we will pursue, but it would be lovely to hear if anyone (whatever your connection to Autism) have any suggestions on how we can help our 11yo be reassured she's still her, and to not allow herself to be put in a 'box', so to speak.

Thank you in advance and wishing you all a lovely weekend

Parents
  • Congrats on the diagnosis!

You haven't mentioned how she's feeling about the diagnosis, It's totally normal to feel a range of emotions, reassure her it's OK to not know how she feels.

I don't know if she's a reader however Libby Scott has 4 books aimed at 9+, I highly recommend. She will most likely resonate with a lot that she writes about. Also shows her that being autistic doesn't stop you, Libby is autistic herself and an award-winning author.

Maybe speak to school and see if they have any older students with autism/ADHD. I used to have a couple younger kids who would come find me if they were having problems or just wanted a chat, they really liked having someone who understood that wasn't a teacher.

Also, know she has her diagnosis, she might want to find out what exam arrangements she is entitled to (I know, it's a little early as she's only 11 however never too early to get support in place). She might be able to do exams in a smaller room, get extra time, have rest breaks, etc.

Chris Packham also has a new documentary out 'inside our autistic minds', which is pretty good. Maybe you could watch that together.

Welcome! And feel free to post on here as much as you want

Alisha xx

• Congrats on the diagnosis!

You haven't mentioned how she's feeling about the diagnosis, It's totally normal to feel a range of emotions, reassure her it's OK to not know how she feels.

I don't know if she's a reader however Libby Scott has 4 books aimed at 9+, I highly recommend. She will most likely resonate with a lot that she writes about. Also shows her that being autistic doesn't stop you, Libby is autistic herself and an award-winning author.

Maybe speak to school and see if they have any older students with autism/ADHD. I used to have a couple younger kids who would come find me if they were having problems or just wanted a chat, they really liked having someone who understood that wasn't a teacher.

Also, know she has her diagnosis, she might want to find out what exam arrangements she is entitled to (I know, it's a little early as she's only 11 however never too early to get support in place). She might be able to do exams in a smaller room, get extra time, have rest breaks, etc.

Chris Packham also has a new documentary out 'inside our autistic minds', which is pretty good. Maybe you could watch that together.

Welcome! And feel free to post on here as much as you want

Alisha xx

Children
  • Hi. My daughter has just been diagnosed with ASD. She is now 20 and unfortunately due to this late diagnosis she has been suffering with depression, panic attacks, anxiety for  the past 4 years. Although having counseling session with a psychologist for the past 4 years she has just been diagnosed at this late stage by a psychiatrist 
    She has finished school with top grades triple  A* And decided to take a year off UNI but now she say she don’t want to study anymore 

she spends all her days in her room and has a solitary life. Whilst on one hand I am happy that at least we know what is wrong with her, on another i am really concerned about her leaving in isolation and being unwilling to do anything

i see that she is very sad 

I was wondering if anyone is able to advise of any forum or groups that meet for activities where I can perhaps take her to meet other young adult that are experiencing the same as she is

thank you, Marcella