Diagnosed at 46!

Hi there good people. I am hoping to talk to fellow ND folks in a world of NT folks.

I am female, recently diagnosed at the age of 46. To be honest, it just confirmed my suspicions for the last 6 years or so. It was through the NHS. I already have a psychiatrist as I also have schizophrenia and she also does the Autism assessments in our county. She fast tracked me so I only waited a year.

I find that after a couple of hours of talking to and being with NT people I want to poke my own eyes out and start screaming. Does anyone else feel like this? For what it's worth, my partner of 13 years also thinks he is Autistic but is very happy with it and doesn't think there would be anything to gain by persuing a diagnosis.

I really want to connect with fellow Autistic people and make some friends.

Parents
  • Morning,

I got diagnosed last year at the age of 42. It seems there are many people of our generation getting a late diagnosis. You are in good company!

I have built a small group of NT friends that understand my oddities and are accepting of me. Im quite lucky like that. Sometimes i feel the need to be the centre of attention and other times i just want to observe. 

My psychiatrist is currently toying with the idea i may be bipolar. I dont know. 

Anyway welcome to the family.

Dogtooth

• I have a good friend who is NT, although that's debatable because she has bipolar. It sounds like your psychiatrist is on the ball and looking into things for you.

I wonder what's with so many people of our generation being diagnosed. I guess when we were children we were just considered a bit odd or quiet maybe?

• I think you are spot on with that. I was the 'weird' kid at school and then the 'weird' bloke at work lol. Its a role i was born to play. On a serious note though i do think that Autism was not nearly as understood back then. If we werent like Dustin Hoffman in rain man we werent recognised. We were just odd. 

Having been diagnosed its given me at least a reason for my difference. Also its given my boss great pleasure as she has been telling me for about 8 years. Now she just laughs when i do something 'autistic' and does the told you so bit. (She is awesome and isnt a bully. We have a LOT of banter. She has ADHD and sees the same shrink as me lol). 

Yeah im not convinced i have Bipolar. However i am not the expert so we shall see. 

• I think you are spot on with that. I was the 'weird' kid at school and then the 'weird' bloke at work lol. Its a role i was born to play. On a serious note though i do think that Autism was not nearly as understood back then. If we werent like Dustin Hoffman in rain man we werent recognised. We were just odd. 

Having been diagnosed its given me at least a reason for my difference. Also its given my boss great pleasure as she has been telling me for about 8 years. Now she just laughs when i do something 'autistic' and does the told you so bit. (She is awesome and isnt a bully. We have a LOT of banter. She has ADHD and sees the same shrink as me lol). 

Yeah im not convinced i have Bipolar. However i am not the expert so we shall see. 

Children
  • Hi Dogtooth. I beg to differ on “I am not the expert”, it is your mind on which you are the expert. The psychiatrists who diagnose us and prescribe psychotropic drugs have (mostly) never experienced serious mental illness or the the meds they insist we take. I speak from personal experience. To be clear I’m being entire supportive of you here. I don’t always explain things well xxx

• I used to know a woman with bipolar, she was a friend but she dropped me after I wasn't able to do typical NT stuff. Her manic episodes were something else and she's always get sectioned for a month. She made some very rash decsions.

Hope you get the manic episodes sorted, especially if they aren't enjoyable.

• Grand gestures of generosity i think someone described it to me as. 

B O O M  goes the resonance cannon ! BOOM, BOOM, BOOM !!!!

• Hey,

No shame in looking after yourself and stepping out of the rat race for a bit. No shame at all. 

Yeah i have manic episodes. Its exhausting and often quite unpleasant. Racing brain. Cant focus. Getting through a task is difficult when im like that. I also make rash decisions when im like that too. Grand gestures of generosity i think someone described it to me as. 

Yeah my boss is cool. She used to be my assistant, but when the old boss retired i didnt want to step up. I know my limits, so i put her forward and she leap frogged me. Now i work for her. She is one of my best friends so it couldnt have worked out better really. 

I dont know much about schizophrenia. Paranoia can be quite debilitating in itself though. 

• Your boss sounds awesome. I'm ashamed to say I'm not working at the moment. I had severe burnout with my last position and the schizophrenia makes me quite paranoid.

Have you had manic episodes? They thought I was bipolar at first, but then my diagnosis was changed because I never had a manic episode.

• I like to tell her she is the lucky one working with me lol Joy

• She is awesome and isnt a bully. We have a LOT of banter. She has ADHD and sees the same shrink as me lol)

Wow - you lucky fella!