Daughter just diagnosed yesterday.

Hi everyone Slight smile

My 11 year old was just diagnosed as autistic yesterday by Healios on behalf of the NHS after what felt like an absolute battle since she was 7. We really struggled to get her school to listen to us and I genuinely feel like they failed her on so many levels to the extent we had to withdraw her and begin home education. This was a complete last resort for us but she had serious anxiety about attending school with it being quite a large one with about 300+ pupils. It got so bad to the point I literally have scratch marks on my walls from her trying to cling to anything to stop us from taking her to school. We refused to put her through this every day so I resigned from my job and we withdrew her from school.

Reading the draft report last night made me so emotional, even though I knew deep down already that she was autistic but just reading it from a professionals point of view and knowing we had finally been listened to and her needs acknowledged. One part of the report really angered me and that was the feedback from the school. They claimed that they never noticed any issues with her and basically we put it all in her head because she went into school one day and told her teacher she was autistic. They also claimed that they never seen any reason to implement further strategies, despite the fact it was them who referred her to CAMHS for her assessment. They had also tried later start times for her, half days, someone from pupil support coming to collect her, referring us to educational welfare officers, child planning meetings with school, school nurses, educational psychologists etc. They threatened to suspend her once because during a meltdown she lashed out at another child and threw a chair, also called us in for a meeting because during another meltdown during a P.E lesson she repeatedly banged her head off a wall. They never mentioned ANY of this in the report and it's just made me so angry!

What concerns me now is she is obviously supposed to be attending high school after the summer but we were hoping we could have her attend a local school that is autism based but I'm unsure how we would go about that now that she is home educated. I imagine usually the school would arrange these things during P7. We've managed okay the past year and a half with the home education but with high school looming I'm doubting my abilities to be able to give her the education she deserves.

I don't really know what the point in the post is to be honest. I guess I just wanted to post in a place where people might actually understand what we're going through and even maybe get some advice in regards to the education point.

Thank you if you've read this far and sorry for rambling

Parents Reply Children
No Data