Hair Brushing

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum.. my daughter is 5 - she was diagnosed  at 3 ½ years old. She has sensory autism. 

I'm looking for any advice.. I've come to a brick wall! Hair brushing! She will not let me brush her hair.

I can only just wash it in the bath but can't brush it or run my fingers through it - nothing. She hates the brushes and throws them. I have managed so far to just clip it back and put a bobble in it for nursery but it is starting to dreadlock..

Does anyone have any advice or tips? I am starting to think ill just have to leave it to dreadlock until she's abot older but I really don't want to if I can avoid it. 

I appreciate any help!

Thanks

Zoe

Parents
  • I can kind of understand this. I don't have children but when I was a child my mum struggled with brushing my hair because I used to absolutely hate it. I found it so uncomfortable and would go in to meltdowns. It was horrible for both of us. 

I would suggest you start small. Don't try to brush her whole head at once. Just start with a small section, like the front or back.

Be very gentle. Don't yank or pull on her hair. Use a soft-bristled brush and be as gentle as possible, if she wants to have a break let her. It's important she feels in control of what's happening.

Make it a game. Sing a song or tell a story while you're brushing her hair. This can help distract her from the discomfort.

My mum did all of the above with me and it made a huge difference for me and suddenly brush I hair was a lot easier and a lot more fun. I hope some of it will be helpful for you and your daughter.

• I can kind of understand this. I don't have children but when I was a child my mum struggled with brushing my hair because I used to absolutely hate it. I found it so uncomfortable and would go in to meltdowns. It was horrible for both of us. 

I would suggest you start small. Don't try to brush her whole head at once. Just start with a small section, like the front or back.

Be very gentle. Don't yank or pull on her hair. Use a soft-bristled brush and be as gentle as possible, if she wants to have a break let her. It's important she feels in control of what's happening.

Make it a game. Sing a song or tell a story while you're brushing her hair. This can help distract her from the discomfort.

My mum did all of the above with me and it made a huge difference for me and suddenly brush I hair was a lot easier and a lot more fun. I hope some of it will be helpful for you and your daughter.

Children
No Data