Feeling lonely

Hi I have just joined, I was diagnosed with Autism last year at the moment I am finding it difficult to make friends, I feel lonely I get stressed a lot, I am happy to Be here, I’m still trying to come to terms with my Autism. I always find I go out of my Way to be nice and friendly people always end up hurting me so I feel a bit closed off right now.

is there any advice?

thanks

louise

Parents
  • Hi.  I have the opposite problem and can maybe offer some insight.  Although I am probably  viewed as a little strange, I have good friend and am pretty well regarded at work and amongst people i come into contact with.  I am though very solitary and prefer it that way for the most part.  Basically, I don't try to make friends and maybe trying too hard is a part of the problem?  My best friendships grew slowly and over time they have become really strong but none of them live near me, so I can maintaint solitude easily.  In my experience, friendships sart as acquaintances such as you might meet at a pub quiz or a sports club and if it works, it works, but trying too hard will put people off.  Sometimes it's cool just to be friends by writing, so you could be in the right place here..

I agree on that one.  I think by trying to focus on what you can do and the good things about you, others will naturally be drawn to you.  The more grasping one is, the more others feel smothered and pressured.  I realised this in my last relationship with someone who was a beautiful person but who became more and more intense which scared me off.  I then realised that I had been behaving that way to my friends.  In my loneliness I had been more demanding which is hard to admit and upsetting to write here.  I do find though that my true friends have worn the storm.  I find being able to accept that nothing is permanent has helped me realise that I need to build my own comfort inside and not look to others to do that for me.  This means I and others can enjoy the progression of meaningful interactions without expectations.  Honesty is sometimes hard to take or admit but it helps us feel more at peace with ourselves and others. :-)

• I find being able to accept that nothing is permanent has helped me realise that I need to build my own comfort inside and not look to others to do that for me.

Very, very wise words.

Reply Children
No Data