Feeling lonely

Hi I have just joined, I was diagnosed with Autism last year at the moment I am finding it difficult to make friends, I feel lonely I get stressed a lot, I am happy to Be here, I’m still trying to come to terms with my Autism. I always find I go out of my Way to be nice and friendly people always end up hurting me so I feel a bit closed off right now.

is there any advice?

thanks

louise

Parents
  • /Louise,

It's painful.  You are not alone in that feeling as you can see from others replies.  Making friends is difficult and it's equally as tough when friendships wane and you are left alone again.  I've come to realise that as painful as it is, there are ways of having friendly interactions so the pain isn't as intense. 

I find that if I accept that I am alone, I can see that there is nothing wrong in that for me.  I have friends who I rarely see because they have families.  I try to focus on accepting that this may be how my life is and that the dream we are sold of long term partner/best friend forever and children may not look or be that way. for me or other folks 

The purpose in my life is to help others as much as I can with who I am.  If I find friends and a partner through that, great, if not at least I know I can help others.  I try to accept that friends and partners are not always forever because circumstances and people change.  It makes me realise that I am not broken or less of a person.  I realise from conversations with people I know that the majority of people feel lonely for the exact same reasons you describe.

Keep posting here if it makes a difference to you and I hope all our comments help you too.

• /Louise,

It's painful.  You are not alone in that feeling as you can see from others replies.  Making friends is difficult and it's equally as tough when friendships wane and you are left alone again.  I've come to realise that as painful as it is, there are ways of having friendly interactions so the pain isn't as intense. 

I find that if I accept that I am alone, I can see that there is nothing wrong in that for me.  I have friends who I rarely see because they have families.  I try to focus on accepting that this may be how my life is and that the dream we are sold of long term partner/best friend forever and children may not look or be that way. for me or other folks 

The purpose in my life is to help others as much as I can with who I am.  If I find friends and a partner through that, great, if not at least I know I can help others.  I try to accept that friends and partners are not always forever because circumstances and people change.  It makes me realise that I am not broken or less of a person.  I realise from conversations with people I know that the majority of people feel lonely for the exact same reasons you describe.

Keep posting here if it makes a difference to you and I hope all our comments help you too.

Children