Hi everyone - just diagnosed a few hours ago (mixed feelings!)

Hi everyone, 

I had a feedback phone call with the clinician this evening and was told that both clinicians who saw me strongly agreed with a diagnosis of autism. Apparently the clinician who conducted my ADOS-2 test was a "strong yes" as soon as they'd had the conversation with me - which I was a little taken back by (I had my suspicions about being autistic but didn't realise it could come across that strongly!). 

Whilst I've spent the last year or so researching into autism, and the more I've done so, the more I have found explanations to a lot of things in my life, I was expecting to feel a little differently about the diagnosis. E.g. a big sense of relief or validation. 

However, instead I feel like I don't quite believe it (and like others won't either). I expected that once I knew, I would want to tell certain people about it as it was the answer I was looking for. But instead I'm so scared to tell people now I know because it seems like such a strange revelation to suddenly disclose. 

I'm not really sure what to do from here - should I wait for the report before I attempt to tell anyone? Or do I tell those I feel I should/could tell so at least they know?

I'm due to have a big change in my life as I change job role (staying with same company, just moving to a different team). I always knew it would be stressful, as every change has been, but I have always been one to mask and I know there are things which could be done to make it more bearable - the trouble is, that would likely mean disclosing my newly diagnosed autism, but springing that on a team I hardly know seems a daunting prospect. 

If anyone has any advice on how to deal with things post-diagnosis and, for want of a better term, loosening the 'mask' -I would be very grateful. And if anyone has any views on what they would do in a work situation like above, I would be keen to hear them (though I know no-one can tell me what to do, nor can anyone know my exact situation). 

I really do appreciate you taking the time to read my waffling post and I look forward to getting to know some of you! :) 

Parents
  • I told immediate family, as they knew I was being assessed. I think my Mum told some of my extended family (with my permission), although I can't actually remember exactly who. There's a fair bit of neurodiversity in my family anyway, so it wasn't so "risky."

I haven't told that many friends. My friends really split into two groups, online and offline. The online ones read my blog, where I'm open about my autism, but I haven't told all of the offline ones. There hasn't been a good time to bring it up and at the moment I feel it's not really relevant.

I inadvertently told my boss when I had an article about being autistic published under my real name and he saw it. He was understanding, but it wasn't the best way of doing it.

• I told immediate family, as they knew I was being assessed. I think my Mum told some of my extended family (with my permission), although I can't actually remember exactly who. There's a fair bit of neurodiversity in my family anyway, so it wasn't so "risky."

I haven't told that many friends. My friends really split into two groups, online and offline. The online ones read my blog, where I'm open about my autism, but I haven't told all of the offline ones. There hasn't been a good time to bring it up and at the moment I feel it's not really relevant.

I inadvertently told my boss when I had an article about being autistic published under my real name and he saw it. He was understanding, but it wasn't the best way of doing it.

Children
No Data