Autism Diagnosis

Hi everyone my name is Pauline and I am 47 years old,I recently did an AQ10 questionare and it came up high for Autism which I had suspected for sometime,I contacted my Dr who basically said that it's very difficult to get a diagnosis and you would need a family member to corroborate what I was like as I child,the problem I have is because I am older both sets of parents and grandparents have passed away and my half sister and myself are estranged and she didn't grow up with me anyway.my GP isn't really interested in helping and said she can't refer me just solely on the AQ10 test so I am now at a loss as to what to do?any advice would be appreciated.Pauline.

Parents
  • Explain to your GP how your life is affected and make a list of things that affect you. Change GP if necessary, I’m in my 50’s and don’t have a parent to fill in the questionnaire.

My GP referred me and the NHS assessment centre has said that my wife can write a letter about  what she has noticed about me. A parent isn’t necessary. So if I don’t have a living or capable parent then I can’t be autistic? Don’t give up, my forms and letter was actually posted off this morning.  My wife ended up writing 3 A4 pages, she joked that she has enough material for a sequel.

Its very inexpensive for a GP to just ignore you, have you thought about putting everything down in an email, I do this as I can come back to it before sending it. Once you start to process everything you find that you have more than enough ammunition. A lot of what my wife wrote, I thought was normal things to me, they apparently aren’t.  

• Explain to your GP how your life is affected and make a list of things that affect you. Change GP if necessary, I’m in my 50’s and don’t have a parent to fill in the questionnaire.

My GP referred me and the NHS assessment centre has said that my wife can write a letter about  what she has noticed about me. A parent isn’t necessary. So if I don’t have a living or capable parent then I can’t be autistic? Don’t give up, my forms and letter was actually posted off this morning.  My wife ended up writing 3 A4 pages, she joked that she has enough material for a sequel.

Its very inexpensive for a GP to just ignore you, have you thought about putting everything down in an email, I do this as I can come back to it before sending it. Once you start to process everything you find that you have more than enough ammunition. A lot of what my wife wrote, I thought was normal things to me, they apparently aren’t.  

Children
No Data