Child recently diagnosed

Hi everyone, 

My daughter who is four has recently been diagnosed with autism and any insights or information that can be shared with me will be ever so helpful! I've not took the time to read too much until we got that confirmation which was received yesterday. She can't speak and likes to babble excessively which makes bedtimes and any other stressful times difficult. I was told that the part of her mind that takes information in such as learning words and how to speak is slow and doesn't process as quickly as the other parts of her brain meaning she uses more visual aid. 

I honestly haven't took the time to read too much into autism before we got that diagnosis and was pointed to several websites and charities that will help.

Thanks for your support, lots of love to those out there who may need that little extra help but is still just as amazing as the rest of us! 

Parents
  • She sounds like a Hyperphant! A wild imagination is what many scientists are famous for having. 

From what I've read the words 'slow' or 'fast' are better understood with strengthened NeuroPathways. This article is written for Non-Autistics to better receive the information https://www.huffpost.com/entry/autism-brain-symmetry_n_5841d0b1e4b0c68e0480b469/amp

But We just have a different way of maturing into our selves. 

I will say, that if a "Picture is worth 1000 words", that most likely a difficulty assigning language to a vivid image to communicate something can be a deep form of frustration. When I was younger, I would just often break down and cry for lack of language to articulate what I could perceive but did not have the maturity and education to reason through or understand. Learning to read is immensely helpful. Picture book encyclopaedias also really helpful. I learned to play chess around 4. And all classes which incorporated artistic expression were incredibly useful: theatre movement (like mime), painting, etc. The technique is important. The more I understand about the structure of a system, the better I am equipped to navigate it. 

Because the lobes responsible for language and semiotics in our autistic wiring aren't as strong, we use language as a means to an end: Simply for Communication. Nothing else.  I am in m 40s and now recogise, after decades of peeling through philosophy and psychology, that non-autistics use language and other nuances of communication to create 'meaning' or create imagery, never the other way around. But because my brain is more symmetrically wired, everything inside it is like a puddle of cables, making continual connexions - everything is connected. It is internal chaos at times, so I desire order and simplicity in my external world. Clean walls, geometric items. Paul Klee not folk art. Warhol or Banksy but not most street art. 

Most of us grew up without parents who sought to understand, so it's amazing you're asking for advice. The most important things I can suggest would be 1. Never take offence - it will destroy trust. An opponent can be offended, but authority is there to protect and nurture, we will never be equals, but as a mum, I've learned to grow into a mentor as my son gets older. 2. Always seek to understand. Autistics are a mismatch for capitalist landscape where competition is key. We don't understand it but suffer it. If we are pragmatic it is because we are desperate to work out how to navigate or how to respond or how to imagine what is being stated. 3. Grow and nurture her imagination. Music, galleries, books, these are resources to captivate and bloom the imagination. Never think a thing is too deep or too intelligent for her. Anything to put the imagination to work can help create a state of ease. It seems counterintuitive and it might be for non-autistics. Engaging analytical reasoning and putting to use a thing which is created for that thing, creates purpose and usefulness. Purpose can make room for vision and vision with the right tools can create a state of thriving.

• She sounds like a Hyperphant! A wild imagination is what many scientists are famous for having. 

From what I've read the words 'slow' or 'fast' are better understood with strengthened NeuroPathways. This article is written for Non-Autistics to better receive the information https://www.huffpost.com/entry/autism-brain-symmetry_n_5841d0b1e4b0c68e0480b469/amp

But We just have a different way of maturing into our selves. 

I will say, that if a "Picture is worth 1000 words", that most likely a difficulty assigning language to a vivid image to communicate something can be a deep form of frustration. When I was younger, I would just often break down and cry for lack of language to articulate what I could perceive but did not have the maturity and education to reason through or understand. Learning to read is immensely helpful. Picture book encyclopaedias also really helpful. I learned to play chess around 4. And all classes which incorporated artistic expression were incredibly useful: theatre movement (like mime), painting, etc. The technique is important. The more I understand about the structure of a system, the better I am equipped to navigate it. 

Because the lobes responsible for language and semiotics in our autistic wiring aren't as strong, we use language as a means to an end: Simply for Communication. Nothing else.  I am in m 40s and now recogise, after decades of peeling through philosophy and psychology, that non-autistics use language and other nuances of communication to create 'meaning' or create imagery, never the other way around. But because my brain is more symmetrically wired, everything inside it is like a puddle of cables, making continual connexions - everything is connected. It is internal chaos at times, so I desire order and simplicity in my external world. Clean walls, geometric items. Paul Klee not folk art. Warhol or Banksy but not most street art. 

Most of us grew up without parents who sought to understand, so it's amazing you're asking for advice. The most important things I can suggest would be 1. Never take offence - it will destroy trust. An opponent can be offended, but authority is there to protect and nurture, we will never be equals, but as a mum, I've learned to grow into a mentor as my son gets older. 2. Always seek to understand. Autistics are a mismatch for capitalist landscape where competition is key. We don't understand it but suffer it. If we are pragmatic it is because we are desperate to work out how to navigate or how to respond or how to imagine what is being stated. 3. Grow and nurture her imagination. Music, galleries, books, these are resources to captivate and bloom the imagination. Never think a thing is too deep or too intelligent for her. Anything to put the imagination to work can help create a state of ease. It seems counterintuitive and it might be for non-autistics. Engaging analytical reasoning and putting to use a thing which is created for that thing, creates purpose and usefulness. Purpose can make room for vision and vision with the right tools can create a state of thriving.

Children