Think I have autism

Hi ~ I think I have autism but a late realisation on that -

How do I get diagnosed as it would help me to relate to family and others better I think - rather than them just thinking I’m weird - and then not making an effort to get along with me - 

im intelligent / in my 30s and female - so I’m quite aware of how things work -

but I recently went for a screening and the MH nurse just tried to put her stuff on me :/ even though I was honest and truthful - I do think I have it - I did have educational psychologists come to see me as a kid in  school as I acted up frustrated and trashing the place - and in high school they wanted to put me in special education classes but I refused because I am highly intelligent and thought that didn’t make any sense to me why I would need to do that - plus at the time social suicide ?! 

So there have been instances when people have noticed something - anyway - I’m female so I live and work and understand things - but I still do think I have autism - I don’t want to say why exactly here but -

could anyone advise me on the hurdles to diagnosis I may face as  an intelligent adult  female … I don’t want to go in there and battle I just want to be understood and cared for and that my family and friends might then make some slight effort to know me - rather than this avoidance which I don’t think is healthy I’m just a human being 

Parents
  • From most of the posts on here, i can see alot of highly intelligent individuals.  Regardless of your perceived intellect, if you go for an assessment....they will basically pick up on it.  I know its said females can mask better than males, but i guess they know this.

A mental health nurse picked up on mine and sent me for an assessment, currently still awaiting.  What exactly did the m.h nurse you seen say?  This would have been an ideal person to ask to be put forward for a proper assessment.  Otherwise, first point of call is to ring your G.P and ask for a referal with why you think you may be autistic.

I hope this helps.

• From most of the posts on here, i can see alot of highly intelligent individuals.  Regardless of your perceived intellect, if you go for an assessment....they will basically pick up on it.  I know its said females can mask better than males, but i guess they know this.

A mental health nurse picked up on mine and sent me for an assessment, currently still awaiting.  What exactly did the m.h nurse you seen say?  This would have been an ideal person to ask to be put forward for a proper assessment.  Otherwise, first point of call is to ring your G.P and ask for a referal with why you think you may be autistic.

I hope this helps.

Children
  • Thank you for your reply - I’m over it just this person individually  happened to be inappropriate to the task at the time 

I am aware this can be a hurdle thank you for letting me know yes I would speak to the gp then if it seems appropriate