Autism with depression and anxiety

Hello,

I am a 41 female who has recently been diagnosed wirh autism after being in the Mental Health system for over 12 years.

I feel very relieved that I can finally begin to put my finger on how I have been feeling since being a child, why I struggle with lots of things and also meeting like minded people.

However, although the diagnosis is a relief, it still does not explain the severe anxiety, depression and regular suicidal thoughts. Does anyone else suffer anxiety and depression with their autism and how do they manage it? I was on 200mg of sertraline for years but the physical side effects aren't good so I have weaned off it. Would prefer not to be medicated 

Thanks in advance,

Stacey

Parents
  • Hi Stacey - sorry to hear you’ve had so many tough times and challenges over the years.

I think that autism almost always comes along with a certain amount of anxiety and depression. 
    Inhave been trying to manage my anxiety for decades - it’s been an ongoing problem for me that at times has become completely overwhelming. Years ago my GP prescribed anti-depressants but I couldn’t tolerate them - I had appalling side effects that just about finished me off. But I got through that thankfully. 

I’m happy for you that you have a diagnosis. Hopefully it will help you to deal with both processing your past and also m9ving forward with greater understanding about how to improve your life - what you want and what you need. 

good luck!

• Thabk you for your comment. As awful as it is, it's good to know others share the same feelings and can offer support and advice. Sorry for your difficult times.

Reply Children
No Data