Burnt out former mental health nurse with ASC - Uncertain about future jobs and direction

Hello all,

I have not made a post on NAS before but briefly I am a man in his 30s with ASC, which was formally diagnosed last year.

I worked as a mental health nurse for 7 years and in the mental health field for about 11 in total, last year however I quit my job as a nurse as i felt unable to contiune working in such enviroments, mostly due to the way they are managed, under staffed and primarily focused on records and documents rather than patients, all of which caused me a lot of stress which was negitivly impacting on my own mental and physical health.

I enjoyed working with people experiecning mental health issues, explaining and providing education around mental health issues etc. However I am struggling to find a job that allows me to do this without having to fit it around loads of paperwork or gain an additional university qualification which i dont really have the time or money for.

I also have interests in Video games, art, music, warhammer, dungeons and dragons and 3d printing, which are aspects i have considered trying to connect to a mental health support system or group in some way, probaly just in the form of a weekly group or similar.

I feel i could be helpful to people if i could find a role that allowed me to utilised my skills and account for some of my difficulties but i have no clear idea of how to pursue this and i find slogging through the job websites and "helpful" advice sites difficult and unrewarding with results

Anyway im not sure if this ended up being an introduction or a prolonged moan but any ideas would be welcomed for suitable jobs or ways to locate them

Cheers

Parents
  • Hey,

Sorry for the late response.

That is infact what i used to do prior to becoming a mental health nurse, and a good sugestion, however i am looking at moving away from units, community support and residential care enviroments really, though something to consider in the short term perhaps, better than kicking my heels.

I have been looking most recently at roles in universities/colleges to support students with learning disabilties or mental health issues, or similar roles providing mental health support and guidance

Zade

• Hey,

Sorry for the late response.

That is infact what i used to do prior to becoming a mental health nurse, and a good sugestion, however i am looking at moving away from units, community support and residential care enviroments really, though something to consider in the short term perhaps, better than kicking my heels.

I have been looking most recently at roles in universities/colleges to support students with learning disabilties or mental health issues, or similar roles providing mental health support and guidance

Zade

Children
No Data