Hello - Advice needed!

Hello,

Over the last few years my family have made jokey comments about how I sometimes exhibit autistic behaviours like obsessions, struggling with loud noises, not being able to read situations etc. The more it’s been said to me the more I’ve felt like what they are saying could actually be true.

I really struggled at school and have always been a bit ‘different’ to people my own age, I’m 23 and have struggled with anxiety since my teens. I also had anorexia when I was 5, my mum has always said it was to do with school but I’ve always said it was because I couldn’t stand the texture of some foods, I’m fine now but still a bit fussy as I just can’t deal with some textures. 

Anyway, I’ve done lots of research recently and I’m pretty sure I’m somewhere on the autistic spectrum, it doesn’t negatively effect my life really but it would make me feel less ‘weird’ if I knew, however, as I don’t require any extra help I do think it would be wasting everyone’s time to go to my GP and go through the long process of getting a diagnosis. Is self-diagnosis a thing or is that not really the done thing? I wouldn’t need it for anything other than my own knowledge.

Thank you! Blush 

• I was in denial about my late diagnosis for many years, until an online self-assessment that I did, confirmed the original. That's when I started reading other people's accounts, experiences & advice, along with more academic material. 

• Thanks Jamie i'll check that Shropshire site out. I've been watching lots of videos on Youtube, some are better than others, but one of the best speakers i found to be Sarah Hendrickx, she does private work but i don't think it's officially recognised. But at my age, almost 69 next month, i ask myself do i need an offical piece of paper ?

• Hi Madwr,

(This is my opinion, but it is shared by many autistic and neurodivergent people. My views are also informed by my acceptance of the neurodiversity paradigm.)

Self diagnosis (sometimes known as self-identification) is absolutely acceptable - we know that clinical diagnoses are a privilege, afforded only to specific sub-groups of the autistic population (see here if you are interested: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism/autism-and-bame-people and https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism/autistic-women-and-girls). If you wish to self-identify as autistic 

When self-identifying, though, I always draw attention to three caveats:

1. You must have researched what it means to be autistic - this could involve speaking to autistic people themselves (such as on this forum) or it could be reading books or webpages on autism. The fact that you've done lots of research is a good sign.

2. Know that you won't be able to access certain services with a self diagnosis, since our services largely rely on a medicalised model of autism.

3. Know that there are certain people who will deny the validity of self-diagnosis/identification. You can often disregard such comments because they will probably know (much) less than you do about being autistic (provided you've done your research).  

From the brief information you have provided, your traits do fit into a larger set of autistic characteristics and traits. Lots of neurotypical people experience certain autistic traits (leading to the incorrect suggestion that everyone is 'a bit autistic') but it is the intensity of those traits which differentiate autistic people. 

Just the knowledge that you fit into the spectrum in some way can be really powerful for your self-understanding and mental health, even if you don't need to access services.

If you want any further information, do let me know Slight smile

Sp. Oc.

• Hello, this website is a good starting point for unbiased advice. Once you have enough information, I would suggest that you think about how you need support, this will help point you in the right direction. What you need now, and what you need later in life may change depending on your circumstances. A NHS diagnosis is a lengthy process but this condition is lifelong, so if you are not time limited, it is free and professionally recognised. Therefore, it is worth considering, as you have nothing to lose. Good luck. 

• Hi Madwr

contact Sara Heath (Shropshire Autonomy) if you Google you will find excellent feedback and she can provide a comprehension Autism report and if you require a official diagnosis a local psychiatrist (small fee) for both although Sara has a social tariff with this report / diagnosis you can learn about how autism affects you both now and on the future and better able to create strategies to cope? 

thanks

jamie