Introducing myself! Mother of 3.5 year old- just diagnosed

Hello all Slight smile

My name is Lu. I am 33 and work with special needs children.

I Have a lovely 3.5 year old daughter named L who was just diagnosed with ASD on the 4th of feb just gone. We had no clue she was on the spectrum until her speech development was untypical and various SaLTs pointed out her many social communication difficulties (which I had just put down to speech delay) about a year ago. As soon as it was suggested that she has ASD everything made sense. I love her very much and wouldn’t change her for the world but have found the last few years very challenging and now it makes more sense to me why I have found it so difficult. 
We are currently in the process of getting her an EHCP also. Luckily we only had to wait for her ASD assessment for 5months. She is summer born and we have decided to send her into school a year later (by deferring her entry) to give her as much time as possible to develop her speech, language and communication skills. She is bright, funny and very sensitive (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!), but gets very frustrated quite easily especially when trying to communicate.

I work with autistic children on a one to one basis, most of them are boys and I had not realised how differently girls tend to present so it has been a real eye opener for me. I am really happy to have found this community.

Thanks for reading! I am looking forward to getting to know people and getting some advice where I can! 

Lu Slight smile

Parents Reply Children