Introduction

I suck at intros so I'll just say hello for now RoflRofl

Parents
  • do you like maths and programming?
    many of us do on here :)

• Yes I do both are my whole world and life :) 

• nice. about 80pc of my job for ten years was coding and i really enjoyed it. nowadays i just do coding in my leisure time for fun - maintaining a website - and my new project is to convert a board game i have designed into code. if you have any tips on language let me know! so far whittled it down to C++ and Python.

• Yes easily actually but I'm a Poké nerd lmao. I might make a different but similar game after.

• could you adapt your game to a new setting, characters, storyline, tweak mechanics etc.?

• Lmao it is handy, I'm always making mistakes so it's always saving me. You have lots of time to choose whether you do a kick starter or if you want to do it for free, you could have extras in your app which you could charge for if you wanted to. I wish I could release my Pokémon game but I'll get sued lmfao.

• Haha OK that's a good tip I like real time error checking as I always do something wrong and it takes so long to debug... cool!

Kickstarter etc a v long way off but nice idea. I need to do loads of testing and everything before any kind of 'selling' happens. I may even give it away for free initially, who knows!

• Not sure why those laughing emojis are there . . . I did edit it to remove them but they are still there lmao.

• Congrats on your promotion :) your side project sounds really good and I think that could be very popular. I'd probably buy it, it sounds like my sort of app. I think having a website or app is a really good idea as well. You could always look at starting a kick starter for this in the end? I think a lot of people will back it. Main advantage for me is that C# automatically checks for problems wRoflith the code by default and that is a lifesaver. There are ways to set up checking in C++ but with C# it's default and has saved my but more times than I'd like to admit Rofllmao.

• Still do the same kind of job but I got promoted which means I don't do the coding itself, I plan the work which others then code. Sigh ;)

Ahh nice, I really got into geocache games since the pandemic and Pokemon Go was one of those, I then flicked to Ingress. 

On the side project, the board game is a RPG one where you have to escape a dungeon, and I want to either fully convert it, or have a companion website or app to keep track of things like points, and player and monster stats and equipment. So nothing super challenging, but I would like to get the mechanics all coded so the calcs are done digitally - this will help people that can't afford to buy special dice, don't have much room at home, or want to play somewhere less than ideal like a small pub table etc.!

I may take you up on your offer of C#. What's the main advantage over C++?

• Sounded like a fun and interesting job to have. What do you do now? I program every day pretty much all day. Not for work just for fun. Gives me something to do and keeps my brain busy. Your project sounds fascinating! I'm working on a Pokémon game, been doing this for 3+ years, currently working on the Pokémon catching system which is fun. I started of with Python then C++, and then moved on to C# which is what I use now. You may have already used it but if you haven't and do ever want to use C# let me know and I'll help you :) 

• Sounded like a fun and interesting job to have. What do you do now? I program every day pretty much all day. Not for work just for fun. Gives me something to do and keeps my brain busy. Your project sounds fascinating! I'm working on a Pokémon game, been doing this for 3+ years, currently working on the Pokémon catching system which is fun. I started of with Python then C++, and then moved on to C# which is what I use now. You may have already used it but if you haven't and do ever want to use C# let me know and I'll help you :) 

Children
  • Yes easily actually but I'm a Poké nerd lmao. I might make a different but similar game after.

• could you adapt your game to a new setting, characters, storyline, tweak mechanics etc.?

• Lmao it is handy, I'm always making mistakes so it's always saving me. You have lots of time to choose whether you do a kick starter or if you want to do it for free, you could have extras in your app which you could charge for if you wanted to. I wish I could release my Pokémon game but I'll get sued lmfao.

• Haha OK that's a good tip I like real time error checking as I always do something wrong and it takes so long to debug... cool!

Kickstarter etc a v long way off but nice idea. I need to do loads of testing and everything before any kind of 'selling' happens. I may even give it away for free initially, who knows!

• Not sure why those laughing emojis are there . . . I did edit it to remove them but they are still there lmao.

• Congrats on your promotion :) your side project sounds really good and I think that could be very popular. I'd probably buy it, it sounds like my sort of app. I think having a website or app is a really good idea as well. You could always look at starting a kick starter for this in the end? I think a lot of people will back it. Main advantage for me is that C# automatically checks for problems wRoflith the code by default and that is a lifesaver. There are ways to set up checking in C++ but with C# it's default and has saved my but more times than I'd like to admit Rofllmao.

• Still do the same kind of job but I got promoted which means I don't do the coding itself, I plan the work which others then code. Sigh ;)

Ahh nice, I really got into geocache games since the pandemic and Pokemon Go was one of those, I then flicked to Ingress. 

On the side project, the board game is a RPG one where you have to escape a dungeon, and I want to either fully convert it, or have a companion website or app to keep track of things like points, and player and monster stats and equipment. So nothing super challenging, but I would like to get the mechanics all coded so the calcs are done digitally - this will help people that can't afford to buy special dice, don't have much room at home, or want to play somewhere less than ideal like a small pub table etc.!

I may take you up on your offer of C#. What's the main advantage over C++?