I'm 25, jobless, and very depressed

I can't get a job because I live in the middle of nowhere and don't drive. No gym or any reason to go outside when living here. I want to move out but people won't allow me to rent anywhere without having a job. I have enough savings to pay for rent but that doesn't matter to them. So I'm losing money being in a place I hate. Also hate my family and this country.

Parents
  • I'm sorry you're having these issues. I cut my family off because they were toxic and breathing down my neck all the time. That was a decision that was right for me specifically, and I stand by it.

The rental market is tough at the moment - very few people I know actually own their own homes these days. The candidate criteria is starting to get strict as well - some of my colleagues had to prove their income was a minimum of three times the annual demand for rent.

Now, work wise. Not sure how you feel about these options, but you could look into roles that require a 24/7 "live-in" employee which negates the need to commute or rent:

1. Hotels or resorts such as Center Parcs, Butlins, Haven, etc. A friend of mine trained as a security guard and worked/lived at Butlins for years - loved it
    2. On-call Support Worker in an assisted facility, hospice or care home 
    3. Cruise liners (away from home for long periods of time, not great pay or conditions, but tax free earnings and opportunity to see the world)
    4. Tour Operators - cabin crew work very hard but get to travel to some amazing destinations and for long-haul flights they can even stay in the destination country until the return flight (sometimes a week later, especially for Mexico via Virgin Holidays) or, an on-site Rep. Essentially a sales job, but paid bed and board in an amazing destination. The last rep I spoke to, had been staying at the hotel for at least 2-3 years and wasn't planning on going home anytime soon - he didn't have any foreign language skills.

That could potentially solve both the housing and job issue in one go, but as I say, those kinds of jobs aren't for everyone and this might not be right for you. Options 3 and 4 would get you out of the UK for most of the time.

• I'm sorry you're having these issues. I cut my family off because they were toxic and breathing down my neck all the time. That was a decision that was right for me specifically, and I stand by it.

The rental market is tough at the moment - very few people I know actually own their own homes these days. The candidate criteria is starting to get strict as well - some of my colleagues had to prove their income was a minimum of three times the annual demand for rent.

Now, work wise. Not sure how you feel about these options, but you could look into roles that require a 24/7 "live-in" employee which negates the need to commute or rent:

1. Hotels or resorts such as Center Parcs, Butlins, Haven, etc. A friend of mine trained as a security guard and worked/lived at Butlins for years - loved it
    2. On-call Support Worker in an assisted facility, hospice or care home 
    3. Cruise liners (away from home for long periods of time, not great pay or conditions, but tax free earnings and opportunity to see the world)
    4. Tour Operators - cabin crew work very hard but get to travel to some amazing destinations and for long-haul flights they can even stay in the destination country until the return flight (sometimes a week later, especially for Mexico via Virgin Holidays) or, an on-site Rep. Essentially a sales job, but paid bed and board in an amazing destination. The last rep I spoke to, had been staying at the hotel for at least 2-3 years and wasn't planning on going home anytime soon - he didn't have any foreign language skills.

That could potentially solve both the housing and job issue in one go, but as I say, those kinds of jobs aren't for everyone and this might not be right for you. Options 3 and 4 would get you out of the UK for most of the time.

Children
No Data