Assessment as an Adult

I am a 45 year old woman and have always known there was something different about me but always thought I was just rubbish at life! 

I have had mental health issues in the past and saw a psychiatrist for a while but was never diagnosed with anything, just told it was a possible mood disorder.  Being autistic didn’t even cross my mind as at the time I didn’t have any knowledge of it then three years ago my daughter was diagnosed as autistic at the age of 13 and a lot of the things that were said made a lot of sense for myself and I started wondering if all the things I struggle with are because I am also autistic.

I did have a brief chat with my mum and she agreed but didn’t think I should persue it after the whole seeing a psychiatrist episode but it’s always been there at the back of my mind.

Last week I did a self-referral and have received a letter back saying  that I have been accepted and am on the waiting list for an assessment.  One thing it asks for is if I have someone that has known me since childhood that could attend an appointment.  This is my question…..is it essential? None of my family live near me (I’m in the north and they are all down south) and I haven’t told them, nor do I want to.  Is having someone come with me essential or can I just do this on my own?

Parents Reply
  • I’ll say I don’t have anyone

Lying straight away is not an autistic trait in my experience. Explain the difficulty to your assessors. They are human also and have experience of what you are going through. For me it was better to be honest and open to give as much information as possible. I'm sure your distance from your relatives is relevant in how it affects you, a person who suspects that they have autism, you.

Children