Online ASD assessment due to pandemic

Hi everyone, I'm Christine, my son has been offered an assessment for Autism (he is 19) but due to the pandemic, it would be carried out online.  I am wondering whether any of you have been assessed this way and what it entails. I would have thought being assessed via zoom would not give very accurate results and are there any practical tests that are carried out if you are not physically in the same room as the assessors.  Thanks for any help.

Parents
  • I was told that one of the assessments HAD to be done in person, and so I did that. everything else was tests I filled in myself, or a long interview with a family member over zoom who was asked questions about me and by upbringing and behavior.

i agree that the key assessment with the potential autistic person would be most accurate in person. some of the things they wrote in my report would never have been witnessed over zoom and they seemed to form an important part of the overall verdict.

• Same, I had two hours in a hospital outpatients type dept. Interview with me, and one with mum.

I would add for the original poster. Don't take any of the 'relatives interview' personally. I was a child when this wasnt so prevelantly diagnosed. Some of the questioning, mum found a little hurtful. She took it as a personal failure.

I'd just say it is what it is, and the best thing is to get a robust diagnosis, to gain the support that may be needed now.

• Same, I had two hours in a hospital outpatients type dept. Interview with me, and one with mum.

I would add for the original poster. Don't take any of the 'relatives interview' personally. I was a child when this wasnt so prevelantly diagnosed. Some of the questioning, mum found a little hurtful. She took it as a personal failure.

I'd just say it is what it is, and the best thing is to get a robust diagnosis, to gain the support that may be needed now.

Children
No Data