deleted.

deleted. 

Parents
  • As long as you are armed with the right information, and give your reasons for wanting an assessment, mentioning family with the condition, and how it affects your life, that’s all you can do. Be factual, and don’t give up if they refuse to refer you. You will be able to get a second opinion, and try again. Failing that, you can always go private, if that is in your financial reach.

I think things are improving where the treatment of BAME people is concerned. I’m 48. I’ve been fobbed off more times I can remember. And the struggle was real getting my daughter assessed. When I mentioned possibly being Autistic myself, it was more of them saying that I didn’t need it, I don’t need a label, and I’ve achieved a lot in my life. 
    You just have to remain dedicated to your cause. Focus on why you’re there, and don’t predict how you might be treated before the event. Worry about that after you’ve been in to see them.

• i’ve written a comprehensive list that is very long - i’m half hoping they just refer me just to get me off their back because I’ve been to that GP sooo many times and got misdiagnosed just so they can fill the quota.

going private isn’t an option - id rather wait months on NHS, but it’s the initial GP referral i’m panicking about because I’ve been going to this GP all my life and know they will judge me..

were you diagnosed at 48 or earlier? 

thank you for your advice! you’ve helped a lot Slight smile

• i’ve written a comprehensive list that is very long - i’m half hoping they just refer me just to get me off their back because I’ve been to that GP sooo many times and got misdiagnosed just so they can fill the quota.

going private isn’t an option - id rather wait months on NHS, but it’s the initial GP referral i’m panicking about because I’ve been going to this GP all my life and know they will judge me..

were you diagnosed at 48 or earlier? 

thank you for your advice! you’ve helped a lot Slight smile

Children
  • Glad to have helped!

I’m self diagnosed. My assessment starts next week Scream

Just remember, no one is going to walk in the doctors and ask for an assessment if they didn’t feel they weren’t on the spectrum. Any GP should realise this. There’s too much stigma attached to it, only those that are would want to know….

Good luck.