Hello I’m new please say hi :0)

Hi, I’m 48 m was diagnosed with ASD in August this year, also have Bipolar, EUPD, OCD anxiety etc.

Had v long stint in hospital with MH

No friends to speak of ( is that unusual??) 

Not sure were to get post diagnosis support. 

Love fantasy fiction, sci-fi, Harry Potter - anything in different world(s)

Feels like I’m an imposter with Autism diagnosis, make sense? 

Parents
  • Hi Asgoodasitgets,

Welcome to the club.  I hope one scoot around this sight will enable you to see you will have a lot in common with us and are not an imposter.  If you still feel one, try the Purple Ella you tube video on the topic.  Lots of people who are late diagnosed go through that feeling.

As for the post-diagnostic support, this maybe a post code lottery.  There's not enough of it about to be sure. However, MIND adult autism services run courses for the newly diagnosed in our area, other areas might have a local branch of the NAS or another autism charity.  You could also ask your GP for a social prescriber.  These are people who bridge the medical and social services in the widest possible sense; they work with everyone from local churches to charities to council services to social clubs.  They might be able to point you to the right places for you to get out and about and meet some people with shared interests.

Whatever happens with the rest of your mental health, I'd make sure they hold your autism at the heart of all they do.  It does affect the way in which we can respond to drugs and to talking therapies. 

• Hi Asgoodasitgets,

Welcome to the club.  I hope one scoot around this sight will enable you to see you will have a lot in common with us and are not an imposter.  If you still feel one, try the Purple Ella you tube video on the topic.  Lots of people who are late diagnosed go through that feeling.

As for the post-diagnostic support, this maybe a post code lottery.  There's not enough of it about to be sure. However, MIND adult autism services run courses for the newly diagnosed in our area, other areas might have a local branch of the NAS or another autism charity.  You could also ask your GP for a social prescriber.  These are people who bridge the medical and social services in the widest possible sense; they work with everyone from local churches to charities to council services to social clubs.  They might be able to point you to the right places for you to get out and about and meet some people with shared interests.

Whatever happens with the rest of your mental health, I'd make sure they hold your autism at the heart of all they do.  It does affect the way in which we can respond to drugs and to talking therapies. 

Children
  • Thank you very much, invaluable information. 
    Very easy to look back & think what if the diagnosis was made earlier. I think that would be counterproductive & look to the future in establishing the right connections.

Thanks again.