Autism or sensory processing disorder

Hi,

My child is on the waiting list for autism assessment. However most of the traits relate to sensory processing disorder.

Are autism and spd the same thing? 

Parents
  • I've got a 15 month old toddler who's having some developmental issues - he doesn't eat finger food and has a very limited diet, plus he isn't speaking yet, just sort of whiny noses ('Eeeeeeee' and 'Mmmmmmm' being his favourites). He's having an assessment at 18 months but I do have some concerns regarding autism. But I actually have SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) myself and I had a limited diet (still do) and was a late talker so I'm wondering if it's just SPD passed down to him, as I understand autism includes SPD as a component. But what distinguishes an autistic toddler from a toddler with sensory issues?

greatpeople me

• I've got a 15 month old toddler who's having some developmental issues - he doesn't eat finger food and has a very limited diet, plus he isn't speaking yet, just sort of whiny noses ('Eeeeeeee' and 'Mmmmmmm' being his favourites). He's having an assessment at 18 months but I do have some concerns regarding autism. But I actually have SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) myself and I had a limited diet (still do) and was a late talker so I'm wondering if it's just SPD passed down to him, as I understand autism includes SPD as a component. But what distinguishes an autistic toddler from a toddler with sensory issues?

greatpeople me

Children
No Data