Autism or sensory processing disorder

Hi,

My child is on the waiting list for autism assessment. However most of the traits relate to sensory processing disorder.

Are autism and spd the same thing? 

Parents
  • No, They are comorbid disorders which means they often exist together but are two separate diagnosis. Sensory processing disorder has four phenotypes and they can cross over from one another. Doctors often will not pursue a secondary diagnosis after the autism disorder for sensory processing disorder because lack of knowledge on where to send children to be diagnosed.

Sensory processing disorder can occur in multiple Nuero developmental disorder and learning disabilities such as Autism, ADHD & dyslexia.

• No, They are comorbid disorders which means they often exist together but are two separate diagnosis. Sensory processing disorder has four phenotypes and they can cross over from one another. Doctors often will not pursue a secondary diagnosis after the autism disorder for sensory processing disorder because lack of knowledge on where to send children to be diagnosed.

Sensory processing disorder can occur in multiple Nuero developmental disorder and learning disabilities such as Autism, ADHD & dyslexia.

Children
  • Thank you for this.  You see my child has severe communication and language delay, issues with texture of food and as a result has a limited diet. Also do you possibly know any techniques to get a child to sit down. My child just will not sit down gets very excited. It's not that my child is annoyed with lights or people, just loves to run out doors, gets very excited and thinks it's normal