Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • KC - Interesting stuff! We've been doing the scales stuff for a while - I agree it works to some extent. I have some very major issues to deal with, with my partner and I can't put my all into them as I have this stuff going on with my very challenging but very bright little boy at school. Things are better at home though, simply because we both understand though counselling, where we are both coming from. It is very like the scales stuff but my partner is on a journey to see that NT people operate in realtionships differently and emotions ARE OK. Me, I am on a journey to accept my partner will never be like me [but I already know he has strengths  to bring to our relationship thanks to AS]. I just need him to understand I do too - and the counsellor pointed it out to him last week. So funny - he made a joke of it and said 'I am crushed!' 

You know - its a funny old world - I actually appreciate 50% of my immediate family being 'different' as my younger son and my partner have as much to offer the world as we N/T folk do. I just need the school to feel the same [!!!!!] and for my partner to realise he is making me live in unfair conditions!!!!

Love Rosemary xxx

• KC - Interesting stuff! We've been doing the scales stuff for a while - I agree it works to some extent. I have some very major issues to deal with, with my partner and I can't put my all into them as I have this stuff going on with my very challenging but very bright little boy at school. Things are better at home though, simply because we both understand though counselling, where we are both coming from. It is very like the scales stuff but my partner is on a journey to see that NT people operate in realtionships differently and emotions ARE OK. Me, I am on a journey to accept my partner will never be like me [but I already know he has strengths  to bring to our relationship thanks to AS]. I just need him to understand I do too - and the counsellor pointed it out to him last week. So funny - he made a joke of it and said 'I am crushed!' 

You know - its a funny old world - I actually appreciate 50% of my immediate family being 'different' as my younger son and my partner have as much to offer the world as we N/T folk do. I just need the school to feel the same [!!!!!] and for my partner to realise he is making me live in unfair conditions!!!!

Love Rosemary xxx

Children
No Data