Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Puffin - My partner does that too! Foot in Mouth [Twiddles his thumbs when thinking] How odd! He also rocks, from side to side, at the dining room table. It drives me mad as it makes me dizzy! Ha ha ha, its like being at Wimbledon watching the ball. Oh my life!

Its hard to believe you are relusive and have no friends, as you are such a lovely warm, chatty lady on here. I know what you mean though - I too have lost confidence in myself. I think it is partly time of life for me [I hit the big 50 yesterday] but mainly not being able to control and sort out what the hell was happening with my relationship! I kind of feel better now that I know a lot of it was/is beyond my control.

We too have got to the point where I can say rather irreverent things about Aspies, [whilst giggling, and not in a nasty way] and we both smile and have a hug. Isn't it a funny thing? I have very mixed feelings about it - on the one hand, it has caused me so much heartache and trouble. On the other, I do love them both for all their craziness and find it hard to want them to magically change, as that would mean they lost their individuality. [And boy! have they got that in spades!]

I am completely with you on the tiny sounds keeping you awake. This is why I turned to earplugs. I have been thinking back to when I was a child and I had lots of ASC traits - I was desperately shy, scared of everything and had food aversion. But now, all those are gone. Not sure what to make of this - d'you think lots of ASC traits could be a normal part of childhood or have I managed to overcome them? I am a totally social animal now, unrecognizable from the girl I was. I wonder if we should take heart from this and have faith that our children will overcome their traits. Its an interesting subject. I am not sure if I have told you, I have a grown up boy from a previous relationship. He does not show any signs of ASC apart from being a grumpy, testosterone fuelled male!Undecided

Love the thought of you planning an easter egg hunt around your garden. My boy has an invite to his year 6 buddy's one [from school]. We could do with the weather perking up!

Lots love, Rosemary xxx

• Puffin - My partner does that too! Foot in Mouth [Twiddles his thumbs when thinking] How odd! He also rocks, from side to side, at the dining room table. It drives me mad as it makes me dizzy! Ha ha ha, its like being at Wimbledon watching the ball. Oh my life!

Its hard to believe you are relusive and have no friends, as you are such a lovely warm, chatty lady on here. I know what you mean though - I too have lost confidence in myself. I think it is partly time of life for me [I hit the big 50 yesterday] but mainly not being able to control and sort out what the hell was happening with my relationship! I kind of feel better now that I know a lot of it was/is beyond my control.

We too have got to the point where I can say rather irreverent things about Aspies, [whilst giggling, and not in a nasty way] and we both smile and have a hug. Isn't it a funny thing? I have very mixed feelings about it - on the one hand, it has caused me so much heartache and trouble. On the other, I do love them both for all their craziness and find it hard to want them to magically change, as that would mean they lost their individuality. [And boy! have they got that in spades!]

I am completely with you on the tiny sounds keeping you awake. This is why I turned to earplugs. I have been thinking back to when I was a child and I had lots of ASC traits - I was desperately shy, scared of everything and had food aversion. But now, all those are gone. Not sure what to make of this - d'you think lots of ASC traits could be a normal part of childhood or have I managed to overcome them? I am a totally social animal now, unrecognizable from the girl I was. I wonder if we should take heart from this and have faith that our children will overcome their traits. Its an interesting subject. I am not sure if I have told you, I have a grown up boy from a previous relationship. He does not show any signs of ASC apart from being a grumpy, testosterone fuelled male!Undecided

Love the thought of you planning an easter egg hunt around your garden. My boy has an invite to his year 6 buddy's one [from school]. We could do with the weather perking up!

Lots love, Rosemary xxx

Children
No Data