Hi my name is Peter

Hello Everyone,

My name is Peter and im from North Wales.  I was diagnosed with Autism back in March of this year thanks to the Integrated Autism Service.  I have a wife and 2 sons, one of which was diagnosed with Autism 3 years ago.

Since my diagnosis I have been thinking on and off that they got it wrong that I was misdiagnosed but some days I think to myself OMG how did I not realise sooner.  Some people have suggested i'm suffering from imposer syndrome.  I think my main problem is the only Autism U have experience of is my sons, I know the saying once you have met one Autistic person you have met one Autistic person.  But me and my son are like polar opposites hence why I feel the way I do.  My traits are similar to his with regards to social situations -im rubbish at i would much rather stay at home with a book and a coffee.  I hate the shops I always feel shattered when i come out from the crowds, the lights, the noise etc.  Im not sure if its a trait or not but when it comes to food i have no will power at all I will eat and eat and eat (suprised im not the size of Wales).

sorry for the rather depressive introduction of myself 

Parents
  • Hi, I was diagnosed in February. I get phases of 'imposter syndrome', usually when I come across people who appear to be more severely affected by autism than me. I also only know one other autistic person, one of my daughters. When I doubt my diagnosis I just rehearse all the times that sensory overload has made me leave noisy family gatherings and suchlike, how I have off-scale reactions to some textures and have to cut all labels off my clothes, and how I find it almost impossible to use the phone. Then I think, yes, these are not really typical of the population at large, and there is something genuinely strange about me that is best explained by autism.

• Hi, I was diagnosed in February. I get phases of 'imposter syndrome', usually when I come across people who appear to be more severely affected by autism than me. I also only know one other autistic person, one of my daughters. When I doubt my diagnosis I just rehearse all the times that sensory overload has made me leave noisy family gatherings and suchlike, how I have off-scale reactions to some textures and have to cut all labels off my clothes, and how I find it almost impossible to use the phone. Then I think, yes, these are not really typical of the population at large, and there is something genuinely strange about me that is best explained by autism.

Children
No Data