Hi there

Hi there,

My name's Gary and, at 49 years of age, I've been diagnosed with autism quite late in life.

What started the ball rolling with regards to eventually getting this diagnosis was that I was seeing a psychologist for counselling following my beloved foster mum's murder and it was my mentions of feeling strangely disconnected compared to how the rest of my family were that particularly interested her.

At first my psychologist was looking at PTSD and dissociation disorder, but then when I happened to mention that I went to a special educational needs school when I was young she became quite curious as to what diagnosis I'd been given way back then.

'Oh I wasn't given a diagnosis' I replied, adding: 'I was just told by everyone that I was slow - though that's never sat well with me, but hey, this was the 1970s. I have wondered whether there was something like an autistic spectrum disorder or ADD going on back then, though - something that would be recognised now, but "didn't exist" back then'.

...Anyway, that started the ball rolling with various assessments last summer and has led up to my eventual diagnosis this July.

I decided to have a look at this forum because I was curious to see if anyone has had a similar experience to me with regards to being diagnosed with an ASD relatively late in life.

Parents Reply Children
  • Sounds like you have a lot of fun! I've just recently purchased an Xbox Ultimate Game Pass and I've been meaning to get into Doom.

Doom2 was one of my first PC games back in the 90s - I loved the challenge and the simplicity-  and plying others over a network as a team or deathmatch is great fun - especially when you know the levels well.