Newly diagnosed adult with aspergers

Hello. As briefly explained, I am an adult woman and I have recently been diagnosed with high functioning autism commonly known as Asperger Syndrome. This is all still a bit new to me, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react so I've been taking it steadily the past few days until my appointment with the psychiatrist to discuss this further. I have a good relationship with my care coordinator and I really wish I get to speak with her first before the psychiatrist but our scheduled appointment is next week. The psychiatrist is calling tomorrow afternoon so I'm sure I'll be okay. I just have a better working relationship with my CC because I've been speaking with her for several months now. 

Okay, so I don't want to get bogged down too much in details right now because I'm not sure on them myself. It was recommended to me in my diagnosis letter that I join NAS and, well, here I am. So a few basics to introduce myself and get a better idea of what to put in my profile description.

• As you may have already figured, I have a thing for words. I've been told by friends that reading letters from me is just like me being there in the room with them. I don't know if that's a compliment or not. I often use words as a defensive mechanism (or maybe I'm masking?) particularly during official correspondence. I find it helps to be technical, maybe even mechanical when dealing with councils, schools, DWP, various other organisations and such that I need to communicate with otherwise I freak out or space out while talking on the phone. 
  • I enjoy sci-fi. Star Trek and Stargate are favourites of mine (I'm not able to name all of the Dax symbiotes hosts or remember all the Gate addresses in the Pegasus galaxy but the love is there). I often like to daydream and I'm seriously considering writing a couple of fanfictions but I also often give up on that kind of thing because its not like I can make money from it. I do mourn that my creativity had suffered so much since childhood and daydreaming is a way for me to take some time for myself and lower my stress levels. I just wish loved ones would refrain from interrupting me. I know they're just checking that I'm okay but it feels like I'm being ripped between two separate worlds and it feels very uncomfortable and distressing for me. I am disoriented and confused, almost as though they've woken me from a very pleasant nap. 
  • I've been treated for depression and anxiety disorder for a very long time. I was first prescribed prozac when I was 16. It's... been a mess. You could say it's been a long road getting from there to here (I'll stop with the Trek references now. I don't want to sound too weird on my first discussion thread here). I've made a lot of stupid mistakes, survived several attempts at suicide, have tiger stripe arms (SH). I'm coming to realise now though that in some cases I was a vulnerable adult being taken advantage of and that's... not good but it kind of helps to know that it wasn't all MY fault. On the flip side, I'm distraught that I was abused in a way I didn't realise at the time. Twenty year old secrets are being revealed for what they were and I hope that I can overcome the shame and discomfort and be able to heal and move on or at least be able to manage the flashbacks in a way that I'm not trapped in that moment in my mind.I'm currently prescribed 40mg citalopram daily but I'm really not sure if that's doing me more harm than good. I guess that's something to discuss with the psychiatrist and my GP.

Feel free to ask questions. I will try my best to answer honestly. It's my hope to be able to identify aspects of my own autism that I hadn't seen before. I'm trying hard not to feel too negatively about it but I'm also allowing myself to feel whatever it is I need to feel. I've cried, I've read so much online, I've followed the psychiatrists recommended links to videos and NAS, I've been gentle but firm with myself (If I'm gonna stay up all night watching seminars and TED talks and writing introductions on an autism forum then I'm doing the housework too! Quietly though, my family sleep at night).  

Thanks for reading. Be Well

Parents
  • Hi Sembeline,

What's weird about Star Trek? I love Star Trek :-) I think you'll be in good company here, there are a lot of fans on this site. It gets referred to quite a bit. Which is your favourite franchise?

I'm sorry you've had such a tough time. I hope things start to look up for you now that the autism has been recognised.

• Hi Sembeline,

What's weird about Star Trek? I love Star Trek :-) I think you'll be in good company here, there are a lot of fans on this site. It gets referred to quite a bit. Which is your favourite franchise?

I'm sorry you've had such a tough time. I hope things start to look up for you now that the autism has been recognised.

Children
  • Thanks . You're right, there is nothing wrong with star trek. I'm just aware that I can babble on about favourite things a lot and don't realise when other people are bored or lost. I grew up with TNG though I also love Voyager and the first four(?) seasons of DS9. I stopped receiving the channel it was on when it first aired so I didn't see the final season. It's on my to watch list now I have access again but I still haven't gotten over Jadzia after all these years. Still got Picard, Discovery and Lower Decks to watch if I do decide to write the fiction. It's not binge watching if it's research, right?