Overwhelmed

Hi, I'm Emma. I'm a stay at home mum. I have a 7 year old daughter, who I believe is an Aspie.  I have a 5 year old daughter who has Autism, and we are waiting for an assessment (School is very sure of the Autism). A 6 month son whom is so different to his sister's at this age that I'm just so mournful of my experiences with my daughter's, because he's following a natural progression for his age unlike his sister's. And then there's me, I always thought I was different because I was poor growing up with an abusive mother, but I'm not different because of that, I strongly believe I am an Aspie too. But all of this has become such a big insight over the last year that it's overwhelming me and I have no idea what to do next. 

The girls are back at school, so I finally have some time to learn to understand everything, I just don't know where to start.

Any advice?

Parents
  • I find we become addicted to our suffering the more we try dissect it. Hard not to do when our life is seemingly full of it.  Know that your not alone when it comes to families with a vain of contrasting differences that don't fit societal norms.  Once we let go of the stereotypical family prerequisite painted by tv and educational departments, it was much easier for us to get help.  Additionally letting go of all that helped us to see that ASD and many of the associated traits are nowhere near as dysfunctional as many make out. I guess at the end of the day, we all blend in pretty well because we don't see ourselves that different as others make ASD out to be.  

Getting help early on of course helps.  Take solace in that I guess.  Educate yourself but be careful what you choose to focus on and beware of your mindset as you delve on in.  The industry loves to overcomplicate things as we so ourselves.  Super important to ensure the school have a good program that focuses on special-ed.  Having a good relations with the teachers is a must.  Although this can be hard for those us that have our own traits, thinking about the kids and their future can help to overcome those challenges.  We use email, zoom and all that kind of thing to keep in touch with all the people that regularly assist our kids.  ASD kids are easily targeted so bullying is a big one we watch.  Let that one slip and the kids will regress super quick.

Just as ... if not more important ... research what programs are available to assist kids with ASD.  Here in Australia where having something called the 'National Disability Insurance Scheme' that is open to the public. It might be worth checking what Government assistive programs there our in your own country that helps disabled individuals.  Find out the requirement, what doctors, therapists and so on that you need to see.  Assessments are but only one very small part of the big picture.  If you don't know 'how' the system regulates and what they are looking for in assessments, then you may very well be buffered out of receiving assistance.   Learning about one diagnoses vs another or one trait vs another can be handy (or make things worse pending mindset) it's far better to learn what programs are out there and the different kinds of subsidies can be had.  When doctors and therapists mention some of these supports your not familiar with, taken the next step and research the hell out of those programs and do what you can to fit the pre-requisites if you truly beleive those supports will help your kids ... even yourself.

Anyways - sorry to go on.  I hear ya loud and clear.  I will add that taking the time to delve into the whole support structure and learn those intricacies and doing what you can to build a case in order to get those assists ... well that helps to take the mind off all that worry about not fitting in or being different or whatever.  Be careful not to go down a road that does no really fit - as that in itself is one trap of many.  It's easy just to get swept away by simply following what any teacher, doctor and or therapist says and whilst for the most part that all mean well - most people miss out receiving help because they don't take the extra steps to build their case and or upscale what they need in order to get much of the available help.  The help is out there ... but in an industry as it is today with a sea of dysfunction as it be ... is much easier to simply unwrap the plastic wrap and eat whatever is sitting on the shelf.  Be sure not to do that!  

Just as the content of a complaint is less as important as the way the complaint is constructed, so to is the knowledge often disregarded if the process for assistance is not understood.  Read whatever books - but above all become your own author and get the help that so many others already have.  It pains me to see so many families missing out because they don't have ability to sift through all the complexities.  Rising above all that confusing and hurt is more disabling that the DXs themselves.  For me the answer lay somewhere above in my own post.  My family is doing much better since we wised up to the system and how it works.  It took a lot of overcoming and a *** load of researching but with every little bit of help we got ... it just seemed to lead to more help the more we learned to accept what was what and what was not - but moreover us taking control of our own paths instead of just having those in the soup doing all the work.

Wishing you and all yours the best. 

• I find we become addicted to our suffering the more we try dissect it. Hard not to do when our life is seemingly full of it.  Know that your not alone when it comes to families with a vain of contrasting differences that don't fit societal norms.  Once we let go of the stereotypical family prerequisite painted by tv and educational departments, it was much easier for us to get help.  Additionally letting go of all that helped us to see that ASD and many of the associated traits are nowhere near as dysfunctional as many make out. I guess at the end of the day, we all blend in pretty well because we don't see ourselves that different as others make ASD out to be.  

Getting help early on of course helps.  Take solace in that I guess.  Educate yourself but be careful what you choose to focus on and beware of your mindset as you delve on in.  The industry loves to overcomplicate things as we so ourselves.  Super important to ensure the school have a good program that focuses on special-ed.  Having a good relations with the teachers is a must.  Although this can be hard for those us that have our own traits, thinking about the kids and their future can help to overcome those challenges.  We use email, zoom and all that kind of thing to keep in touch with all the people that regularly assist our kids.  ASD kids are easily targeted so bullying is a big one we watch.  Let that one slip and the kids will regress super quick.

Just as ... if not more important ... research what programs are available to assist kids with ASD.  Here in Australia where having something called the 'National Disability Insurance Scheme' that is open to the public. It might be worth checking what Government assistive programs there our in your own country that helps disabled individuals.  Find out the requirement, what doctors, therapists and so on that you need to see.  Assessments are but only one very small part of the big picture.  If you don't know 'how' the system regulates and what they are looking for in assessments, then you may very well be buffered out of receiving assistance.   Learning about one diagnoses vs another or one trait vs another can be handy (or make things worse pending mindset) it's far better to learn what programs are out there and the different kinds of subsidies can be had.  When doctors and therapists mention some of these supports your not familiar with, taken the next step and research the hell out of those programs and do what you can to fit the pre-requisites if you truly beleive those supports will help your kids ... even yourself.

Anyways - sorry to go on.  I hear ya loud and clear.  I will add that taking the time to delve into the whole support structure and learn those intricacies and doing what you can to build a case in order to get those assists ... well that helps to take the mind off all that worry about not fitting in or being different or whatever.  Be careful not to go down a road that does no really fit - as that in itself is one trap of many.  It's easy just to get swept away by simply following what any teacher, doctor and or therapist says and whilst for the most part that all mean well - most people miss out receiving help because they don't take the extra steps to build their case and or upscale what they need in order to get much of the available help.  The help is out there ... but in an industry as it is today with a sea of dysfunction as it be ... is much easier to simply unwrap the plastic wrap and eat whatever is sitting on the shelf.  Be sure not to do that!  

Just as the content of a complaint is less as important as the way the complaint is constructed, so to is the knowledge often disregarded if the process for assistance is not understood.  Read whatever books - but above all become your own author and get the help that so many others already have.  It pains me to see so many families missing out because they don't have ability to sift through all the complexities.  Rising above all that confusing and hurt is more disabling that the DXs themselves.  For me the answer lay somewhere above in my own post.  My family is doing much better since we wised up to the system and how it works.  It took a lot of overcoming and a *** load of researching but with every little bit of help we got ... it just seemed to lead to more help the more we learned to accept what was what and what was not - but moreover us taking control of our own paths instead of just having those in the soup doing all the work.

Wishing you and all yours the best. 

Children
No Data