Hello everyone, I'm new here

I'm 41 and I think I might have Asperger's, I was referred by my GP for testing about 5 years ago and I'm still waiting. 

I read a lot about it in the meantime, and issues I faced so far in dealing with social situations, trying to understand, what I'm doing wrong and why are all there decribed as part of being autistic.

2 years ago after my first and only 10 years long relationship fell apart, I came to the conclusion that masking, that is how you call it here, is a mistake, and in a long run it will only make things worse. It was a good move to stop doing it, I'm still getting stressed with social situations, still getting told that I'm rude, incompassionate, loud, talk to much, interrupt people etc., still cannot figure out before saying that what I'm about to say they find innapropriate for some reason..., but at least I'm not trying to hide anymore, and it's a huge relieve, I even made one new friend since then (shared interrests), so now I've got 2 friends, that's probably more then average. My family is still comfortable witrh me only when I 'act normal', I wonder if that will ever change.

But let's get to the point why I decided to create an account here and speak up. There are 3 things that I haven't seen mentioned before here, that were always part of me and I find atypical for regular humans:

1. I'm a very agreeable person. Unless it is something that will make me break rules, or forces me to agree with something that's clearly false and incorrect, I always agree, there is no 'but', no negotiations, inside my head included.

2. I have a very good memory, perfect with numbers (I developed a method to memorise a number with minimal effort in one day, and remember it forever :p, our way of showing off I suppose), except when it comes to names, they fade away if I did not see someone for more then a week, and memories of daily activities are very blurry and incomplete at best, unless something important happened. But recently (it started about a year ago) memories of my early childhood (when I was between 4 and 11) started to emerge from a foggy past, while I thought they are long gone.  A lot of memories, and I notice details now I was not aware as a kid, because I did not have a concept of it to see it.

3. I've got very good contact with children, while I make very bad first impression on grownups. I work in a supermarket, and there wasn't a kid so far that came shopping with parents that wouldn't like me. So unless it is a parent of a kid I've just made laugh (part of my secret tactic to win them over :p, somehow I know how to talk to them), or someone working with me, I usually do not get 2nd chance. I have never got a job if face-to-face interview was part of recruitment process. Once in my life happened something truly amazing, one of managers, where I work currently, came to me after 6 months since he was transfered to our store and said:

'Mariusz, I feel like I have to apologise to you, I made really bad 1st impression about you, that was unfair and unjust, but I changed my mind about you'. It warms my heart to think about it sometimes. It means there is hope for me, for us.

So, is it the same for you? 

Thank you for reading it, I worry it might be to much for starters.

Mariusz

Parents Reply Children
  • I did ask about it during appointment I had over a phone 2 weeks ago, but GP managed to avoid answering that question by steering the conversation back to the reason for the appointment, which was, and still is, getting stressed  at work past my tolerance levels, she gave me 3 weeks sick leave. I got out of her regarding referal 'It takes a long time to wait, they must be very busy now becacuse of covid' only.