diagnosed quite late in life

diagnosed at 62. it's been extremely difficult - losing  many of the few friends i'd accumulated. i'd always been extremely anxious at work, and was a mid level tech. i think i was mid level only because i 'looked' and 'acted' like a tech guy, lol... so, kind of a charade. found out i have many extreme sensitivities, but that kind of allows me to make sense out of why i've been so anxious my entire life. i've also developed some stereotypical asd (don't mean to offend anyone) habits or mannerisms post-diagnosis. weird! like, i'll literally immerse myself in new hobbies, just inhaling them (currently surf fishing) like a ravenous maniac... the few remaining acquaintances i have ... i guess they have to accept my asd. it's part of who i am, and i try not to bore them w it, but i feel i'm a different person now, frankly, than i was pre--diagnosis.

oh, and i found out although i've always been completely taciturn in my life, now i can go on and on....... so i have to watch that. oh, and i'm a yank, from california. hope that's ok. 

Parents
  • everything is ok apart from being american,,,,,,,,, I'm joking of course 

i am happy u got a diagnosis  

are u currently i the states ? where u diagnosed there ? did u have to pay ? How does USA handle someone who needs a diagnosis I mean here we can  go to the NHS and wait, or fork out money and go private

• i was diagnosed at the university of california, and i have medicare... i guess that is like nhs???  i *think* private and medicare go in the same lines, so to speak, but idk. maybe they look at medicare people differently than private pay (more profit?). a medicare diag costs quite a bit --- but it's manageable, i think. medicare does cover my therapy, which is very affordable,  for me, i guess the hardest part was finding people who know asd. so i zoom in to UC and stanford univ. therapy's been so helpful, altho life has been so hard.

• medicare looks like a nightmare of a system Slight smile

Reply Children