Seeking a diagnosis in middle age

Hello everyone!

I have just joined this community after completing yet another online self-test for autism.

So far, every online test that I have taken has suggested that I am probably on the spectrum and should consult with a professional about that possibility.

But its only now that I actually feel motivated to do that.

November 30th 2020, will mark four years of unemployment for me.

That's the longest I have been out of work in my entire adult life. I am 47 years old now.

Although there are neurodivergent people who are conventionally very successful in various jobs or business enterprises, I understand that the unemployment rate for people on the spectrum is much higher than that for the general population.

I am hoping that a diagnosis may ultimately lead to a strategy which would get me back into gainful employment.

But not into another call centre!

Been there, done that, don't see myself doing it again.

Although I have developed strong technical interests in my free time over the last couple of years, any job in tech would present precisely the kind of problems which I feel ill equipped to manage.

Working as part of a team, reading social cues, taking and giving feedback in a tactful way, etc.

In my youth, I feel that I was good at "masking" my oddness. But now, in my late forties, I feel that life is too short to pretend to be someone that I am not. 

Parents
  • Hello Friendly Alien. I have not worked now for over 11 years. I worked for the DWP, and was on a last written warning for all my sickness time taken. I eventually thought it would be best to resign, rather than getting the sack, with a view to future employment chances. I was working in an open-plan office with over 100 others = no relief from stress, ever. It was only after I stopped working that I went back into mental health services, who suggested assessment for Autism. So in a way, I look back and have to think that it helped me not being in work at the time. 

If it might be possible, maybe you could think about finding a future position where you could work from home? It seems these days everything (well, most things) are done online, so might be worth considering?

Take care and best wishesV

• Hello Friendly Alien. I have not worked now for over 11 years. I worked for the DWP, and was on a last written warning for all my sickness time taken. I eventually thought it would be best to resign, rather than getting the sack, with a view to future employment chances. I was working in an open-plan office with over 100 others = no relief from stress, ever. It was only after I stopped working that I went back into mental health services, who suggested assessment for Autism. So in a way, I look back and have to think that it helped me not being in work at the time. 

If it might be possible, maybe you could think about finding a future position where you could work from home? It seems these days everything (well, most things) are done online, so might be worth considering?

Take care and best wishesV

Children
No Data