2 year old diagnosed with Autism

Hi, 

I am a mother to a little boy who is 2 years old (3 in February) we have just received a diagnosis of ASD with a speech and language disorder associated with the ASD as he can only say single words and thus can often be echolalia and he does not understand (we opted to get this done privately hence quick diagnosis) 

We have spoken to a neurology paediatrician this morning via a virtual appointment and I feel very deflated. I was hoping once we had his diagnosis that things would start progressing and he would be able to access resources and we could speak to someone who had ideas about managing his behaviour (which seems to be getting worse especially his violence). 

However the paediatrician we spoke to this morning basically said there's not a lot they can do as the NHS staff aren't trained in dealing with children that young. I just feel desperate now to get some sort of guidance I was hoping an early diagnosis would be helpful in supporting him best however that appears not to be the case. 

I am just interested if anyone here knows of any children of this age with an ASD diagnosis and what resources they have found useful? 

Also worth mentioning I try to do all the cause and effect games / interactions / flash cards / simple sign language / rough and tumble type play

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated :) 

Many thanks, 

Lauren 

Parents
  • Makaton: is The Sign Language for Non-Verbal Autism

nationalautismresources.com/.../

persinally i would hunt down the closest primary school for special needs and have a chat with the things u should start doing and how to get him into one of these schools to contnue  his education. 

ask do they teach makaton for example --- a head start in that would be good.

• Makaton: is The Sign Language for Non-Verbal Autism

nationalautismresources.com/.../

persinally i would hunt down the closest primary school for special needs and have a chat with the things u should start doing and how to get him into one of these schools to contnue  his education. 

ask do they teach makaton for example --- a head start in that would be good.

Children
No Data